Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cave Labyrinth

Quote Originally Posted by RenflowerGrapx View Post
    YAY! I think the mossy areas are great and gave an additional touch to fill the whole thing
    I put your modifications on top and I'll try to replicate it in other areas, see how it looks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Labirinto.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	7.75 MB 
ID:	113498

I think I can do it with lasso tool, I'll give it a try with lasso and then use the brushes to get the transition smooth.

Hi! Sorry I couldn't find the thread from my computer, i'm not really used to forums!

I Maybe forgot to say, while I used a single layer of light, i used several strokes.
    You don't have to replicate my style we all find our way to execute something, and I think you are doing great. Of course a single stroke of brush won't give the same effect,
    The first think i made was to create a lightup on all the area, with a really soft stroke, and i pressured with the reduced sized brush to make the smaller light areas and make them more strong!

Of course it is something you can apply with texture, if you assign the pattern to the layer, and you have different lighted patterns you can overlap them at best.

Actually i think you made a whole world in a single dungeon and this is scary and also really challenging, i like it!

If you want to smooth the brush strokes you can use a rubber/the thing to delete lol, with 40% trasparency and a soft radius.

IMO (in my opinion) the best way is to skill the pressure and work on different radius, trasparencies and sizes with a single brush and maybe assign textures to them later, with blending modes. IDK there is a whole world to explore with textures

The last WIP looks really dynamic and various!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda91 View Post
    I tried it with my pen but I wasn't able to reach the same result you did, mine looks dull.

Attachment 113495
    Well looking at yours, it isn't about the linework, you can make very basic and rough lines. The trick on getting that high and low effect going is understanding light and shadow a bit better.

Try something. Add four Colour dots to the image on a different layer. The first a bright'ish colour, not white. The next a bit darker but still a little bright. The third darker by some margin and the last quite dark. (Play around with what four you choose, it is better to keep them at FULL opacity, so make sure you choose the right ones for the area.)

Now playing with JUST those four colours, you paint lines with your 2nd colour, add a few to signify steps down. THEN add the 3rd colour like the steps was casting a shadow.
    Then you use the 4th colour, a smaller brush to touch closer to the LINES you drew. This signify the parts that gets the least amount of light.
    Lastly, where you see the highest part of the stairs, you touch it with your brightest colour.
    As highlights give a protrusion feel that stands out, this will give the sense of height.

Hope that helps. I will see to getting a picture done.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Thanks I'm trying but I'm having a problem with the internet on my Pc, its very very slow, can't upload anything right now, when it gets normal I'll show the next update.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Thanks I'm trying but I'm having a problem with the internet on my Pc, its very very slow, can't upload anything right now, when it gets normal I'll show the next update.
    That's fine. You really have a nice dungeon/cave map going already. Well done btw.

Here is a little showcase of basic highlights and shadows.
    From the left I start with only four colours and then I add onto it to go darker and lighter with each next step.

Tut:

Name:	Highlights and Shadows_Tut.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	394.9 KB 
ID:	113519

Edit:
    And when you get real comfortable with adding Highlights, Cast shadows(softer larger shadows) Core shadows(much smaller but darker shadows) then you can go real dark and real bright to sell the effect even more. Good luck with the rest of the map.
    Last edited by XCali; 02-15-2019 at 11:03 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

So, how it looks and which one looks better?

Name:	Blending.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	113528

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    That's fine. You really have a nice dungeon/cave map going already. Well done btw.

Here is a little showcase of basic highlights and shadows.
    From the left I start with only four colours and then I add onto it to go darker and lighter with each next step.

Tut:

Name:	Highlights and Shadows_Tut.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	394.9 KB 
ID:	113519

Edit:
    And when you get real comfortable with adding Highlights, Cast shadows(softer larger shadows) Core shadows(much smaller but darker shadows) then you can go real dark and real bright to sell the effect even more. Good luck with the rest of the map.
    Thank you! I couldn't explain that good

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a40 using Tapatalk
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

So, how it looks and which one looks better?

Name:	Blending.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	113528
    The two on the right IMO

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a40 using Tapatalk
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

So, how the first segment does looks like?

Name:	Labirinto.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	7.75 MB 
ID:	113530

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast