Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anri's Battlemaps

Map Anri's Battlemaps

Hello all,
    I used to make battlemaps way back, but life got the in the way and I hadn’t made much of anything for the last decade. Last December I was at a friend’s wedding and some of us were talking up the good-ole-days of our old campaign and how we should totally start a new one.
    Well, once we got back to our lives, the talk of a new game disappeared. It did cause me to look back through all the old stuff and dig up my old backlog of maps to make.

For these first ones I’ve been trying out some new outdoor methods. Also, finally noticed that .psb files are a thing so I’m not constantly bumping up against the old 2GB barrier that .psd files have.
    I want to try this mostly 3d method on indoor maps but at least initially I’ll need to build the walls block by block and haven’t wanted to take that kind of time yet when there are so many outdoor maps still on the list.

So, here I am, hoping to pick up some new tricks and tips to improve the maps further.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abbey of Ash.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	113478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Road to Isengrau.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	285.9 KB 
ID:	113479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cruserian Port Town.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	321.2 KB 
ID:	113480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cythian Academy Grounds.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	113481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaltiar.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	311.3 KB 
ID:	113482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cruserian Coastline.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	409.6 KB 
ID:	113483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watery Cavern.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	113484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marsh Road.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	291.3 KB 
ID:	113485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River and Hills.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	314.9 KB 
ID:	113486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest Waterfall.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	321.4 KB 
ID:	113487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest Campsite.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	113488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kale's Bridge.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	113489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lonely Forest.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	353.1 KB 
ID:	113490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest Ambush.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	293.2 KB 
ID:	113491
    Last edited by Anri; 02-14-2019 at 04:39 PM.

These are beautiful pieces ! My favourite is the Cruserian Port Town, honestly looks amazing !

Quote Originally Posted by Rubikia View Post
    These are beautiful pieces ! My favourite is the Cruserian Port Town, honestly looks amazing !
    I agree 100%, though I would like to see them at a higher resolution.

Very nice maps, Anri!
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I agree 100%, though I would like to see them at a higher resolution.
    I'm still trying to figure out how or if I'm going to release the full resolution versions.

Had bad experiences last time with people re-hosting and even selling my stuff.

Too many people just don't respect anything received for free. Once the image files are downloaded into their maps folder, it doesn't matter to them what original license was attached.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks for the compliments, by the way. All of you!

Map

Tried a few shadowfell maps this time. Not entirely happy with how they came out.

Because of how the shadowfell is, I wanted them to be spiky, alien, and dark...almost monochrome. The end result was kind of flat and boring. A little color processing at the end made them pop a bit more but still not much. Couldn't decide originally if I wanted the water to be dark and murky but otherwise normal water or lava. In hindsight, the lava might have helped bring a bit more color in.

The shadowfell wilderness map is mainly for random encounters while the party is traveling about.
    The castle map is the home of one of the main villains of the campaign that they would have to fight their way up to.
    The full-size version of the castle map is over twice the dimensions of the wilderness one.

Still have one exterior map in this series left to make; a shadar-kai settlement. Didn't work on it with these because I hadn't decided what architectural style to use yet for the buildings.

Name:	Shadowfell Wilderness.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	113575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadowfell Castle.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	322.3 KB 
ID:	113574

On to something a little more colorful next...

Map

Was working on a pirate cave hideout but then had an idea and this one jumped the queue.

Witch's Holler is a map for a mini-campaign I was writing a long time ago to be test area for a game system I was making. Back then, it was set in the victorian era and the maps were isometric. Now I'm re-writing it for standard D&Dish medieval fantasy and with overhead maps. Unfortunately, some parts of the old campaign are pretty victorian-era specific and will just be cut from this version. I suppose if my campaign world was high-fantasy, a mood-setting ghost story set on the train ride to the town could work a number of ways. Not so much in a somewhat low-fantasy setting though.

Pretty much the only thing brought over from the original map is the witch's house itself. Although that still had to be re-created because I couldn't find the .pz3 file. I was bad about not saving models that I didn't think I'd need again back then.

Even though the full-size map is only 15000x15000 pixels, there are so many layers due to all the plants down in the swamp area that it started to bog down photoshop.

Back to the pirate cave...

Name:	Witch's HollerB.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	113741

These are probably the best battlemaps I've ever seen. I really hope you get a game going again man! If the maps are an indication of how even half good the games are they'd be pretty frickin' awesome. Full res would be super appreciated.

Guild Member Guild Sponsor

I am super impressed with these. Thank you.

Guild Member Guild Sponsor

Thank you for sharing your passion and talent for map making. I really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast