I drew this one a couple of months ago and it was the first city map I've done. I thought I would post it here to see if you have any feedback before I do any more city maps. The only thing really missing here are the labels

About this place: The map is of Gundabarg, which is my modified version of Gundbarg, a town in the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Forgotten Realms. I changed the name of the city to better fit the phonetics of the other place names on the same island I came up with. Gundabarg is the biggest settlement on the northerly island of Gundarlun and lives primarily on trading and fishing.

About my inspiration: I couldn't find any map of the town of Gundbarg to base it on and instead based it on the real world town of Lerwick, Shetland. I've had the pleasure of visiting Lerwick twice and really like it. So the main layout (city, coastline, hill, lake) is from Lerwick. I added turf houses (and viking ships) for a viking feel, a garrison by a fort, and a lighthouse. Details kept from Lerwick are the graveyard (near the lighthouse), the ancient building by the lake (a broch) and the seals in the bay (this is a place you often find them).

About drawing the map:
The style of the houses is heavily inspired by a map of Paris from ca 1550 ( link to wikimedia commons). The map is handdrawn with pigma microns and scanned. I've corrected some mistakes in gimp as well as added the aging effect and the background paper.

Plans for using the map: The map might get used in a D&D campaign I'll soon co-run. There are no concrete plans to get the party here but the place is tied to a character they know. The character is currently my PC and a member of the party, and will continue to figure in the story when I transition to being co-DM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gundabarg5.png 
Views:	631 
Size:	7.45 MB 
ID:	113567