Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gundabarg (harbour town)

Default Gundabarg (harbour town)

I drew this one a couple of months ago and it was the first city map I've done. I thought I would post it here to see if you have any feedback before I do any more city maps. The only thing really missing here are the labels

About this place: The map is of Gundabarg, which is my modified version of Gundbarg, a town in the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Forgotten Realms. I changed the name of the city to better fit the phonetics of the other place names on the same island I came up with. Gundabarg is the biggest settlement on the northerly island of Gundarlun and lives primarily on trading and fishing.

About my inspiration: I couldn't find any map of the town of Gundbarg to base it on and instead based it on the real world town of Lerwick, Shetland. I've had the pleasure of visiting Lerwick twice and really like it. So the main layout (city, coastline, hill, lake) is from Lerwick. I added turf houses (and viking ships) for a viking feel, a garrison by a fort, and a lighthouse. Details kept from Lerwick are the graveyard (near the lighthouse), the ancient building by the lake (a broch) and the seals in the bay (this is a place you often find them).

About drawing the map:
    The style of the houses is heavily inspired by a map of Paris from ca 1550 ( link to wikimedia commons). The map is handdrawn with pigma microns and scanned. I've corrected some mistakes in gimp as well as added the aging effect and the background paper.

Plans for using the map: The map might get used in a D&D campaign I'll soon co-run. There are no concrete plans to get the party here but the place is tied to a character they know. The character is currently my PC and a member of the party, and will continue to figure in the story when I transition to being co-DM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gundabarg5.png 
Views:	624 
Size:	7.45 MB 
ID:	113567

This is a really great map, you’ve really encapsulated the style well ! I’d love to see more maps of yours in the future ! Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by Rubikia View Post
    This is a really great map, you’ve really encapsulated the style well ! I’d love to see more maps of yours in the future ! Keep up the good work
    Thank you very much! I'm glad you like it

There's something wonderfully authentic in this map, and on the ones you shared on your introduction post. I'm glad to be the first one to rep you, hoping to see more soon !

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    There's something wonderfully authentic in this map, and on the ones you shared on your introduction post. I'm glad to be the first one to rep you, hoping to see more soon !
    Thank you so much! It means a lot, especially coming from you (although I'm new here I've been a fan of your work on instagram for some time)

You really nailed the historical feel here. I can easily imagine finding this in an ancient book buried within an antique library somewhere - you can almost smell the old parchment. The "wavelines" around the coasts (or whatever you want to call them) maybe add a little restlessness to it that I'm not completely sold on, but the overall look is solid. I'm sure it'll serve the campaign well.

Ei huono, ei huono ollenkaan!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I love this map! The aesthetic and overall feel of it is great! Your style really gears me up to get ready to play some DnD -- I can't wait to see what else you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    You really nailed the historical feel here. I can easily imagine finding this in an ancient book buried within an antique library somewhere - you can almost smell the old parchment. The "wavelines" around the coasts (or whatever you want to call them) maybe add a little restlessness to it that I'm not completely sold on, but the overall look is solid. I'm sure it'll serve the campaign well.

Ei huono, ei huono ollenkaan!
    Oh, wow, that's a great compliment, thank you! If you mean the ones right next to coast I'm considering making them denser. That might give a less restless impression (or make it worse ). Thanks for your feedback and kiitos!

Quote Originally Posted by yaro View Post
    I love this map! The aesthetic and overall feel of it is great! Your style really gears me up to get ready to play some DnD -- I can't wait to see what else you have!
    Thank you! If my maps inspire people to play DnD, that's great!

Guild Apprentice

Looks great! The map would work well as a player handout or something similar. I like how effectively you managed to portray that large parts of the town are built on higher ground and not sea level. The hobbit holes are also a nice touch! Just something I noticed is that the fort on the headland in the upper left corner is not drawn in perspective, but I guess that is intended?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast