Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Rooftop Living

A whole half inch before everything grinds to a halt?! Good gods, as soon as a flake falls around here, half the population starts calling it Snowmagedon or Snowpocalyps.

@aeshnidae As for the map... I am digging it so far. Tough perspective to work with, but you seem to be handling things well so far.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Definitely a hard perspective to work with but I love the concept and your work so far looks really promising!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    I would have thought that you could probably learn the basics of sketchup in an hour or so with a simple tutorial and experimenting - although if you can find someone to show you how to do it, it is likely to go an awful lot faster. After all, if it just the perspective that you are looking at getting right, you can just use simple box shapes to get the main lines right. It is simply a matter of setting out a simple square, drawing your streets and building footprints on it, and then "pulling" them up to the desired height. You can then move around it to get the perspective you want, take a screenshot and away you go. If you do decide to use it, don't fall into the trap of putting more and more and more detail into your sketchup model - it's bery easy to waste an awful lot of time that way.
    Ah, I have not shared with the Guild my utter and complete ineptitude with anything that includes camera angles. I always get stuck in a corner, so it seems fitting that in SketchUp, I am also that dude who is stuck in a corner at the very start of creating a project! I'm so terrible at it that my wife has completely given up on me when it comes to camera angles. Last night she had a good laugh when she saw me trying to figure out SketchUp and saw that I was once again stuck in a corner. I'll have to check out a YouTube tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    A whole half inch before everything grinds to a halt?! Good gods, as soon as a flake falls around here, half the population starts calling it Snowmagedon or Snowpocalyps.

@aeshnidae As for the map... I am digging it so far. Tough perspective to work with, but you seem to be handling things well so far.
    Thanks! It's a very tough perspective but I like the challenge. We had Snowzilla here in DC in 2016. Three feet of snow in one day, then more snow later. We called an earlier storm Snowmaggedon; my folks in Baltimore got 56 inches (142ish cm) in 3 days. They had to get up on the roof and shovel it off so it didn't collapse under all the weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Definitely a hard perspective to work with but I love the concept and your work so far looks really promising!
    Thank you! I am hoping to find some time to do more work over the weekend.

Interesting! And you have a good start to work with here.

Thanks, Ilanthar! I'm trying to squeeze in work on this entry in between actual work deadlines and emergencies.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zombie Rooftops v4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	113795

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    Thanks, Ilanthar! I'm trying to squeeze in work on this entry in between actual work deadlines and emergencies.
    Boy I hear that. I've got problems. It's looking good tho.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I can understand you completely! I think this is looking really nice, I hope your schedule keeps clear enough for you to get some more work on this done soon!

Thanks, Jaxilon and Domino44! Part of my challenge is that I'm teaching an environmental law class in addition to my usual lawyering, so I'm a bit more squeezed for time than usual. BUT, I am really loving this challenge and since it runs through mid-March, I am hoping to get it all finished. I have a specific idea in mind for how I want the final version to look, and I hope I can achieve it.

Also, d'oh, uploaded the wrong draft for my WIP. Here's the correct one:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zombie Rooftops v5 (sm).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	113798

I feel like Spiderman looking at this image.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast