Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Rooftop Living

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Looking really great! I also love the comic book style, the mist looks so cool. Awesome work!
    Thanks, Domino!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    We can feel the atmosphere now, very good move
    Oh good, I'm so glad!

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Very nice , where is Spiderman? ... btw I noticed a small issue in the roof top green plants, the left ones have a wrong inclination , you might want to correct those to fit with the perspective ... apart that it looks great!
    You (well, the viewer) is Spiderman in this one. Thanks for the input on the plants, I will add that to my list!

I did a lot of clean-up work, although more is needed. Added some more rooftop stuff, plus some vehicles on the streets below. Still need to add more stuff up on the roofs and more labels. Adding all of the rooftop items has been very challenging because almost nothing is at the same angle and perspective warp doesn't always do the trick.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zombie Rooftops v11 (sm).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	114161

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh wow, this is what you get up to when I don't look at a thread for a couple of weeks! Very nice work, aeshnidae! This is like something out of Heavy Metal magazine (well, it has that feeling for me anyway, and I grew up on that mag).

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Oh wow, this is what you get up to when I don't look at a thread for a couple of weeks! Very nice work, aeshnidae! This is like something out of Heavy Metal magazine (well, it has that feeling for me anyway, and I grew up on that mag).
    Thanks, Diamond! That's the feeling I'm going for!

I added more roof stuff, including a soccer field (which I was going to label as a football field for Tonquani, but I had already put in the US flag). I'm not thrilled with my comm towers/antennae but they may just have to do. I still want to add some water storage barrels on the Galleria and fix the left bit of the farms.

This is by far the most challenging thing I've ever drawn - totally new style, really challenging perspective, lots of false starts - but I'm so glad that Tonquani pushed me to do it! I really doubt I would have tried something like this without this challenge and I'm really proud of it. Thanks, Tonquani!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Zombie Rooftops v12 (sm).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	5.50 MB 
ID:	114186

Love the palette and the comic looking style!

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    Thank you!!!! This challenge really pushed me waaaaaaay outside my comfort zone so I'm happy it's turning out okay!
    It's looking awesome - Just loving the whole comic book vibe - completely takes me back to my (misspent) youth!

That's what these challenges are so great at doing - I don't think I've started one yet where I have thought to myself that I know what I'm going to do and how it's going to turn out!

Fixed stuff. Realized I had merged layers in an earlier version and can't easily fix the left plants (grrr!). Not quite done yet, but close!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Zombie Rooftops v13 (sm).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	5.59 MB 
ID:	114220

I really like how this is turning out! Super creative and different the details are really cool like the soccer field and the aid station. Very cool stuff!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Lots of good ideas... I love the story !

That turned out fabulously! Looks like something right out of a comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    I really like how this is turning out! Super creative and different the details are really cool like the soccer field and the aid station. Very cool stuff!
    Thanks so much, Domino44! The soccer field just popped into my head and seemed perfect for a group that has committed to living on the rooftops!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Lots of good ideas... I love the story !
    I must credit Tonquani with the story, I just ran with it.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    That turned out fabulously! Looks like something right out of a comic book.
    Thanks, arsheesh! I was at a loss until I hit on the idea of a comic book style. Then - boom! pow! - it all came together.

So. I think this is done!

Tonquani's commission was as follows: A zombie apocalypse (or something similar) has happened – there seem to be rather a lot of these around at the moment… A small group has managed to barricade themselves onto the roofs of a group of high-rise buildings and establish some sort of colony/settlement there – including growing food, raising livestock, etc. They have built walkways between the various buildings, so that they never have to go down to the ground where the zombies lurk.

Perspective: This is probably the most important – I would like an extreme three point perspective specifically showing great height above the ground. [see 1st post for sample image]

Colours: No specifics apart from it being drab and dark below – some sort of black mist on the ground may be an idea if you want – and probably makes it easier in that you won’t need to draw loads of detail on the ground. The roofs themselves should be quite colourful in contrast.

I must say, this is the most artistically challenging thing I've ever done! I scrapped three versions before hitting on this one. I went back and re-read the commission and this time it made me think of The Walking Dead comics; as soon as the comic book idea hit, I knew it was the right style for the extreme three-point perspective (which I thought of as "Spiderman's perspective"). I was able to work in the farms, apiary (my substitute for livestock), walkways between buildings, some additional color on the rooftops, and the mist.

This was drawn in Photoshop using a Wacom Intuous tablet. I didn't use SketchUp or anything for this entry...because I didn't think about it until I was done with the line work. The font is Komika Axis, available here.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this, and cheers to Tonquani for giving me a commission that made me stretch and learn new things! I would not have thought to do something like this on my own, and it's cool seeing it turn out well.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Zombie Rooftops v14 (sm).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	5.56 MB 
ID:	114252

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast