Thread: The town of Lifferburgh

Default The town of Lifferburgh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lifferburgh compressed.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	681.1 KB 
ID:	123946

For my own campaign which takes place in a region called the Summerfrost district, I wanted to work out one town rather detailed. It's centrally located in the thinly populated district. The aim was to create a city full of potential story hooks and I tried to place every neighbourhood, building and landmark with a potential story in mind. A church on top of a hill on the east, ruins on a western hill, a temple on a small island in the lake, a central market, a graveyard, lumber mill, tent encampment, hidden huts, working class houses as well as large villas, etc.

A little background on Lifferburgh:

Lifferburgh is the second biggest town of the Summerfrost district with a population of 2,300 and the capital of the Shard. Most of the food that is produced in the Shard is first being transported to Lifferburgh where it's traded on the famous Lifferburgh Market.

A little to the south side of the city (off the edge of this map) flows the Rusty River, coming from the Iron Hills. The iron as well as other resources that are mined there are mostly transported with ships over this river and sold either on the Lifferburgh market or brought immediately out to the open sea towards Uban-Urk, the capital of the Monakin Empire.

For the most part, Lifferburgh is a relatively young town, except for the old, ruined estate on top of the western hill.

I like this! I think you did a good job showing elevation changes and that the layout of the town is quite realistic!

So much to love here. I appreciate how much you varied the flora around the map, and your color choices are so warm.

The abandoned building toward the north west is a great touch. What would a small town be without a sorted past?

IR

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

When people normally think of capital towns, I assume (at least for me), this is not normally what they think of. They would imagine walled towns with towers so this brings an entirely new image for a capital town. It is really down well down and looks like it is growing outwards from the more central built-up area. I like the colors and elevation depictions!

A nice map there! I would drop some shadows tho. I think it would emphasize the already well executed relief efforts.

Very nice map! I would love to see some labels on it, though.

Thanks all for the great replies! It was my first fully finished city map and longest I ever spent on a map, so I'm happy to see the positive response.
    Labels is indeed something I might still add.