Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thylea [Odyssey of the Dragonlords]

The map is truly stunning. Congratulations!

If I may ask a silly question: do you draw all of the "squiggly" lines in your forests individually, or do you have some way of speeding the process? Its my preferred method for drawing forests but it can be incredibly time consuming...

Again, great map!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I'll welcome the surprise BTW, I have several thread of yours that I want to comment on but they also deserve all the rep I can spread so, I'll wait for my wand to recharge before commenting on them

Quote Originally Posted by Darknesskilla View Post
    The map is truly stunning. Congratulations!

If I may ask a silly question: do you draw all of the "squiggly" lines in your forests individually, or do you have some way of speeding the process? Its my preferred method for drawing forests but it can be incredibly time consuming...

Again, great map!
    Thanks DK
    Sadly, all hand done. I tried making a brush for it, but the look was too consistent, too repetitive without enough variation to look organic.
    It didn't go with all the other hand drawn stuff, and so looked really off.

Default Gorgeous Map!

I've only just discovered "Odyssey of the Dragonlords", but I'm already planning on running it as a campaign - I've loved Greek mythology since I studied Ancient History a few years ago.

One thing, though - I don't know if I'm just not seeing it, but I can't seem to find a scale bar on the map. The campaign mentions the Sour Vintage being about 20 miles from Estoria, but that would make Thylea only about 120 miles across; that is, somewhat smaller than New Zealand. Seeing that it's referred to as a "lost continent" quite frequently, I'm figuring that I've missed something.

If someone could set me straight, that would be terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    I've only just discovered "Odyssey of the Dragonlords", but I'm already planning on running it as a campaign - I've loved Greek mythology since I studied Ancient History a few years ago.

One thing, though - I don't know if I'm just not seeing it, but I can't seem to find a scale bar on the map. The campaign mentions the Sour Vintage being about 20 miles from Estoria, but that would make Thylea only about 120 miles across; that is, somewhat smaller than New Zealand. Seeing that it's referred to as a "lost continent" quite frequently, I'm figuring that I've missed something.

If someone could set me straight, that would be terrific!
    No, you didn't miss anything. It didn't make it into the final version.
    I had a scale, but there was some uncertainty about whether it made sense overall.
    In the final version, each square was 20 x 20 miles, such that the map covers about 160 x 220 miles.
    There are many times when working on projects like this where they already have the text, but it conflicts with itself in various places.
    It happens more than you would think. That's why more should get at least a basic map done earlier in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    No, you didn't miss anything. It didn't make it into the final version.
    I had a scale, but there was some uncertainty about whether it made sense overall.
    In the final version, each square was 20 x 20 miles, such that the map covers about 160 x 220 miles.
    There are many times when working on projects like this where they already have the text, but it conflicts with itself in various places.
    It happens more than you would think. That's why more should get at least a basic map done earlier in the process.
    Fantastic. Thanks, J. Edward. I absolutely LOVE the map - the first thing my daughter said when we were perusing it was how much she loved the font, and it put her in mind of the old "Jason and the Argonauts" movie
    Beautiful addition to a terrific campaign, IMO.

Thanks again.

Default Thanks for the scale!

I came here for the map scale and was not disappointed! Thanks for the lovely map.

Default Maps resold

I don't know if you are aware, but the maps for Odyssey of the Dragonlords were packaged up and are now sold on Roll20 independent of anything other than included tokens.

I have looked at exactly 2 maps of the 48 that are in the package.

The first map, which is the one that carries the title of this thread, has been skewed so that the x-axis is a bit longer than the y-axis. Anyone overlaying a grid system is going to have trouble since the grid is off. I can mess around and stretch it until it works, but man, I paid to have a functional, non-borked map.

Then they have a map entitled 'The Heartlands' which is basically a zoomed in section of Thylea. Here is what I found on the provided map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheared_map.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	123973

THE RED LINES ARE MINE AND CAN BE IGNORED - the giant sheering effect is what I am trying to illustrate.

As I have mentioned, I've examined just 2 maps and both are a bit of a mess. I'm just looking for better versions of the maps. I am more than a bit disappointed in the company that holds the rights to these especially since this is like defacing a piece of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    Fantastic. Thanks, J. Edward. I absolutely LOVE the map - the first thing my daughter said when we were perusing it was how much she loved the font, and it put her in mind of the old "Jason and the Argonauts" movie
    Beautiful addition to a terrific campaign, IMO.

Thanks again.
    Thanks Aldaron. I always enjoy hearing when kids enjoy my maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    I came here for the map scale and was not disappointed! Thanks for the lovely map.
    Thanks
    I don't know if you are aware, but the maps for Odyssey of the Dragonlords were packaged up and are now sold on Roll20 independent of anything other than included tokens.

I have looked at exactly 2 maps of the 48 that are in the package.

The first map, which is the one that carries the title of this thread, has been skewed so that the x-axis is a bit longer than the y-axis. Anyone overlaying a grid system is going to have trouble since the grid is off. I can mess around and stretch it until it works, but man, I paid to have a functional, non-borked map.

Then they have a map entitled 'The Heartlands' which is basically a zoomed in section of Thylea. Here is what I found on the provided map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheared_map.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	123973

THE RED LINES ARE MINE AND CAN BE IGNORED - the giant sheering effect is what I am trying to illustrate.

As I have mentioned, I've examined just 2 maps and both are a bit of a mess. I'm just looking for better versions of the maps. I am more than a bit disappointed in the company that holds the rights to these especially since this is like defacing a piece of art.

Wow, that is disconcerting, and I know that would annoy me as a customer too.
    I don't know who they got to handle their map conversion.
    I think they had some sort of deal with Modiphius about distribution, but am not sure if Modiphius would have handled this sort of thing or not.
    I also know that graphic designers feel free to push and resize things as they see fit to make something look the way they want, not taking into consideration that it is sized a certain way for a reason.
    Like a square on a map... it's like that for a reason. sigh. I have seen resizing before on maps of mine, in ways I didn't like.
    But, there isn't much I can do about it when it's a commission.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    But, there isn't much I can do about it when it's a commission.
    No, and I hope that you did not think that I was complaining to you. I really just wanted you to be aware of how badly they've botched things.

At any rate, I complained rather bitterly to Roll20 and they kindly refunded the purchase price.

No, and I hope that you did not think that I was complaining to you. I really just wanted you to be aware of how badly they've botched things.

At any rate, I complained rather bitterly to Roll20 and they kindly refunded the purchase price.

Nods. I understand. I'm glad you were able to get refunded.
    Though you should have had a need to be, but that is life.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234