Thread: Ocean DEPTH Tut :D

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Tutorial Ocean DEPTH Tut :D

Heya!!!

Okay, so I wanted to create a simple but effective tutorial for how to represent Ocean depth.
    Ever wanted a map that showcases a deep ocean, one rife with the possibility of adventures? Well then this can help out. Remember to have fun.

This is in a sense what we will work up to in this tut. Start out simple first and then become more comfortable with the effect.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Dark Sea_Overview_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	114292
    (The same image as a few posts below. I just wanted to start the thread with the aim.)

Now where to start?
    Have a program with which you can use Layers, this is important. Photoshop or Free alternative is Gimp, both can be a good place to start, though there many other possibilities. I for one am fond of Gimp.

Brush to use: Basic SOFT edge Round brush, or a cloud like brush. - Whatever suits your needs, for this one I'm going to stick with the first. ((Though for going a bit more in depth, you can use a cloud like brush with the Angle at Random and Spacing at low. This would give an even more natural feel, though this is for those that know the ins and out))

Layers Arrangement and Layer MODE:

Top 'ish' - LAND layer -Normal

Mid - Ocean DEPTH layer -Overlay OR Multiply (But for this, I used Overlay)

Above bottom- Ocean Shallow Highlights (Overlay, or Softlight or Vividlight, or what you find best that brings out the highlights)

Bottom - Ocean Layer(Texture) - Normal - (This one's placement depends on if you are multiplying a Texture Above everything else or not, in this tut, I kept it at the bottom.

Ocean Texture you can use. I took an old paper texture, threw on a filter.

Name:	Ocean_Pastel_Texture.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	5.28 MB 
ID:	113779

Here goes. It is what we are going for, knowing light and shadows, it is mostly the case that something darker represents a deeper depression, and lighter something that protrudes. Using this knowledge, we can make the ocean LOOK deeper, or make something look shallow.
    ALTERNATIVE option before we start:
    I used a little different technique here than what I am going to discuss below. Just so you know there are options. I used the Soft Round brush and used the colours EXACTLY as they are at FULL 100% opacity, on the overlay/multiply layer. This makes it so you are in complete control of HOW deep you want to draw. Whenever you are going to draw with any of those colours, you are going to get exactly the colour you want. There pro's and con's to this, as one you have more control, but you have to switch colours every time you want to go shallower or deeper, which takes quite a bit longer.

Name:	Ocean_Depth_Tut_1.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	113780

This is not a land tutorial, just wanted to make that clear. I will do a land tutorial if several of you are interested.
    Okay, so here is the base ocean along with the land... it feels odd. I think it is because we are use to seeing big bodies of water that clearly goes darker the deeper it goes.

Name:	Ocean_Depth_Tut_1b.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	113781

This is for just that added immersion, adding shallows, this layer is above the Texture layer, and BELOW the Depth layer. I used a bright colour with the soft Round Brush at 20% or even lower if you want. The reason I add the Depth or Deeper sea layer ABOVE this layer, is so when I start making stuff deeper that this Highlight layer doesn't get in the way.

Name:	Ocean_Depth_Tut_2.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	113782
    (Free to use)

For the keen eye, I did NOT use black as my colour of choice. If you use Black or white for something, it is the most extreme on its end of the spectrum, so it leaves you no room to just touch up something with a darker colour or a brighter colour.
    Also, I used that colour as my choice, so I can lower the opacity considerably and paint in darker patches as I wish.
    20% or Lower Opacity of the brush. Use quite a big size for the brush. Leave the smaller brush size for when you want to be really specific in your detail.
    This is on the Ocean DEPTH layer (Remember to put it on Overlay mode or Mulityply mode ect. NB!)
    From here you just make long sweeping brush strokes. Shorter brush strokes is for more detail, but is harder to control.

Name:	Ocean_Depth_Tut_2b.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	113783

For this, I went really deep with my ocean, but you don't need to do it that dark, you can choose a colour that is a bit less dark than the one I used.
    Also, if you made a mistake on your Depth layer, just switch to the Eraser tool and at 10% or LESS opacity brush away inconsistencies. Still using the Round Soft edge or a cloud like brush.
    So this Technique, I took hold of using brush Opacity to control my depth, the deeper I wanted it to look the more brush strokes I added to that area. And where I wanted underwater mountains, I can just add deep water around a LIGHTER patch of area in the ocean.

Name:	Ocean_Depth_Tut_3.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	113784
    Realised the land is a bit dark, so here is one where it is a bit lighter.

Name:	Ocean_Depth_Tut_3b.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	113786

If any of you have questions, be sure to ask. It would also be nice to hear what you thought of this tut or if it helped at all.
    Remember that there are more than one way to go about doing your ocean. This is just a one(two if you count the alternative option)

Goodluck! Have fun and enjoy your day,
    Omri (XCali)

P.S Bonus

Name:	Ocean_Depth_Tut_Bonus.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	113785
    Last edited by XCali; 03-18-2019 at 05:24 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hey, I wanted to give a little update for this tut.

Name:	The Dark Sea_Overview_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	838.6 KB 
ID:	114192

Okay, so aside from the glaring addition (the maelstrom, cough cough) I used a cloudy brush (Or you can use a round soft edge brush. But for this I wanted to be a bit fancy.) on 7-8 % Opacity, a dark dark blue colour, but not really near black. On a Ocean shading Layer above the Ocean texture layer, I started painting in the darker sea areas, keep in mind to make sure brush strokes stays natural and not too straight. Also, avoid having a extremely dark area right next to a very light area, unless you can get the underwater cliff effect right.

(For this one, my Ocean shading layer (Ocean Depth layer) was on Multiply mode.)

How the highlights layer for shallow areas look

Name:	Ocean_Highlights_layer_Tut1.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	114291

This is how my Ocean shading layer look to achieve the effect above (Multiply Mode)

Name:	Ocean_Depth_Layer_Tut.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	114290
    (A note: For this map, my Highlights layer is actually above my Ocean Shading layer. So, it just depends on what you prefer or need at that moment how you arrange your layers.)

As for the maelstrom, it is a ways more complicated to say the least. But, if any of you feel up to the challenge then I can think about how to tackle a tutorial about it. Let me know.

(General gist, I used a speckled brush with the same principle, going darker the closer to the core of the maelstrom. Then adding highlights to the top of the wave structures and ridges to get it to pop.)

If any of you would like me to explain something or elaborate on the tut, don't be afraid to ask.

For the cloudy brush, I used one of these from Para-vine.
    https://www.deviantart.com/para-vine...shes-152820554
    Last edited by XCali; 03-18-2019 at 05:22 AM.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Apprentice

Thanks XCali

This is very useful to someone learning GIMP/raster software, thanks I'll need to go through in detail and apply it to my WIP.

I have made a pdf of it for myself, with the update as well; I'm glad to post it here to this thread unless you prefer not or if there is a preferable location.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Thanks XCali

This is very useful to someone learning GIMP/raster software, thanks I'll need to go through in detail and apply it to my WIP.

I have made a pdf of it for myself, with the update as well; I'm glad to post it here to this thread unless you prefer not or if there is a preferable location.
    I am happy to hear you find it useful.
    If there are any questions, be sure to ask.

It is perfectly fine if you make a pdf and post it here. I was thinking of having to do that.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Novice

Thank you for this.

Something I always forget to add in my maps !

Yep, that looks pretty much exactly like how mine would look taken apart too. It's a simple addition but adds a lot of depth, something I think is worth remembering to add to a map with any painted aesthetic. Nice breakdown. It's not new to me but I think you conveyed the steps in a way that makes sense to someone who doesn't know how to do it yet and really it makes sense to apply these steps for most photo editing type programs (not a vector one though).

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by FerryK View Post
    Thank you for this.

Something I always forget to add in my maps !
    Hehe, pleasure. I'm glad you found use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Yep, that looks pretty much exactly like how mine would look taken apart too. It's a simple addition but adds a lot of depth, something I think is worth remembering to add to a map with any painted aesthetic. Nice breakdown. It's not new to me but I think you conveyed the steps in a way that makes sense to someone who doesn't know how to do it yet and really it makes sense to apply these steps for most photo editing type programs (not a vector one though).
    Thanks It is something that changed the way I approach map making, so I wanted to try and explain the process.

Just thinking about doing a map in a vector base program and adding such dynamic shading gives me headache. Hehe, I do prefer my Gimp.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19