Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schley inspired Dungeon style

Hi Xcali, I understand what you mean re the symbology, it is often associated with dark magic and in this case, rightly so (Though I could always come up with something less traditional to symbolise a magic circle). The basic premise behind this map is that of a cult that worships, i.e. feeds, some sort of ancient, powerful vampire lords that are being held in stasis by the magic circle. Blood spilt on the sacrificial altar powers the circle and also feeds the vampires. If the circle is destroyed the vampires are freed - using mist form to escape via the blood channel opening. I think as far as lore goes, the idea is that the vampires were once heroes that became corrupted and it was decided the community would be best served by having them imprisoned rather than destroyed so they can be unleashed on the communities enemies, should the need arise. Kind of like WMD's in an end of world scenario.

Thanks for the assets! I may or may not use them on this map but I'll keep them for future reference.

Cheers,

Jim
    Last edited by damonjynx; 03-05-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Hi Xcali, I understand what you mean re the symbology, it is often associated with dark magic and in this case, rightly so (Though I could always come up with something less traditional to symbolise a magic circle). The basic premise behind this map is that of a cult that worships, i.e. feeds, some sort of ancient, powerful vampire lords that are being held in stasis by the magic circle. Blood spilt on the sacrificial altar powers the circle and also feeds the vampires. If the circle is destroyed the vampires are freed - using mist form to escape via the blood channel opening. I think as far as lore goes, the idea is that the vampires were once heroes that became corrupted and it was decided the community would be best served by having them imprisoned rather than destroyed so they can be unleashed on the communities enemies, should the need arise. Kind of like WMD's in an end of world scenario.

Thanks for the assets! I may or may not use them on this map but I'll keep them for future reference.

Cheers,

Jim
    Completely fair point you made. Sounds like a few sinister secrets lies in waiting. Good luck with creating the rest.

P.S. You are welcome. I just thought it might come of use for you later on.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi Folks,

Not a lot of progress. I changed the magic circle icon, added a dark-blue, nearly black overlay layer at around 70% opacity, I felt it a little too bright given the subject matter and re-positioned the pit trap. I saw a YouTube video the other day on how to turn a photo into a comic style drawing by simply using a couple of filters and messing around with layer adjustments. I might try that for some of the furnishings (my actual drawings are pretty rubbish...).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schley inspired dungeonMk4.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	114016

Finished Maps

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Nice. I like the darker look and the new magic circle.

If furnishings is a problem, then you are welcome to use/change these for the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interior_Free_Dnd_Tokens_byOmri.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	743.5 KB 
ID:	114021  

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi Folks,

As per other posts I've moved to a new 64-bit mac and have decided to jump on the CC3+ (via WINE) bandwagon because my Adobe CS4 suite will not run on it which is highly annoying and I refuse to pay a subscription to 'update' software I already own...

As the majority of my paid work is for old-school type dungeon maps and for some other creative endeavours I'm working on, I thought CC3+ would be a good solution, allowing to me to create functional and attractive maps in many styles for the 3 main categories of Fantasy RPG cartography; Overland, City and Battle Map/Dungeon. Anyhow, here is a WIP of a redo of the above map in the OSR dungeon style that shipped with the Humble Bundle which included the 3 main programs CC3+, City Designer and Dungeon Designer and a host of other stuff.

There are some errors, notably a missing wall to the sacrificial chamber which is on a sub-level, I'm not happy with the coloured background and will be changing it. I need to work on the placement of some stuff too and label and key it properly. As a rank Novice with the program I think it's a pretty good start. I might do a couple of versions, once I'm happy with it, and send to my publisher to see which he would prefer moving forward for their Classic Fantasy line. Also, the symbol sets for that style are a bit...bland? I don't know. I think I'll export my Dungeon Symbols from Ai into CC3+ once I've got a better handle on the program. I apologise for low resolution, I'm still working that out also.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	TofH.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	123874

What do you guys think?

Finished Maps

Hi Folks,

Here is another update. I'm finally getting the gist of CC3+ and will start doing some other maps. I need to work on the hatching, it's very close to what I want but not quite there yet, further experimentation required. I also need to re-visit the manual for how to add the grid to the navigable parts of the map, or at least put a scale marker on it...And the last thing I'll do to it is add it to a parchment background and adjust the blending effects...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	TofH V2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	123936

Finished Maps

Nice, as a critique I would make the edges of your cross hatching less uniform and in the open space between the rooms it's okay if you don't fill those with hatching.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticDesign View Post
    Nice, as a critique I would make the edges of your cross hatching less uniform and in the open space between the rooms it's okay if you don't fill those with hatching.
    Yeah, that’s what I was alluding to above. The hatching is a background fill and I’ve not worked out how to attach it to a wall at #width or how to mask those areas of solid fill. The former may not be possible but I’m all but certain I can figure out the latter.

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12