Thread: My First Big Map

Map My First Big Map

Hello all of you fine people!

I've been messing around with maps for around a year now, and I decided to make a bigger map.
    I don't have any lore at the moment, but inspiration is flowing so that might change soon..!

Any help, tips or possible improvements are MUCH appreciated since I am still preeetty new to map making and cartography.

Thank you for reading this and taking a look at my map!
    ~SoaringAscent

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190303_171139.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	550.6 KB 
ID:	113890

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I really like the town/castle symbols and the forests!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I really like the town/castle symbols and the forests!
    Thanks! They're pretty average, but they work really good on my maps..!

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

I too was really drawn in by those symbols. They stand out very neatly — good silhouetting! I also like the shading you've applied under the woodlands to the right side of the map, although I wonder if perhaps your mountain ranges and hills might benefit from a bit more definition (such as along their peaks), just to make them 'pop' to the same degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnyo View Post
    I too was really drawn in by those symbols. They stand out very neatly — good silhouetting! I also like the shading you've applied under the woodlands to the right side of the map, although I wonder if perhaps your mountain ranges and hills might benefit from a bit more definition (such as along their peaks), just to make them 'pop' to the same degree.
    Thank you so much! It doesn't show up that good, but under the woodlands are little lines to simulate tree trunks. I did do the shading of the mountains with just pencil, and you're right, I'll probably go back to it to make them a little darker!