Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: City of Estoria [Odyssey of the Dragonlords]

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It's really more of a town. Too small to be a city.
    But, that's what it was called.
    Last week I posted the larger region that this one sits in, the region of Thylea.
    This was done for Arcanum Worlds. Here's the blurb with links and all...
    Arcanum Worlds’ new Odyssey of the Dragonlords setting.
    Arcanum Worlds is James Ohlen, Jesse Sky, and others who had worked together at Bioware or in the video game industry.

They’ve released a free players guide - here’s what they say about it…
    “The Player’s Guide to Odyssey of the Dragonlords is a 28-page booklet that serves as a companion to the Odyssey of the Dragonlords campaign book.
    The Player’s Guide provides you with everything you need to create a hero in the forgotten lands of Thylea.”

You can get that at DriveThruRPG or at Modiphius, who they’ve partnered with.

I worked with them last year to create 14 maps for this setting and will release more maps as the products they appear in are released.
    I had a great time working with them and was happy to work with James on some other projects. I’ll keep you posted.

Ironically, I need coffee again.
    Though I don't have to go to the store and buy it this time.
    Just a short walk out to the kitchen. Yawns.

Attachment 113927
    Very nice, how did you do to manage to make coincide the isometric view of the Town withthe perpendicular one? Looks very precise .

The double perspective on the map is quite surprising!

+1 on the geometry accuracy question: how did you keep the two views consistent?

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Very much a beauty !
    Thanks Voolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Beautiful work! I wish I could rep at the moment... I love the city illustration at the bottom!
    Thanks Domino No worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Love it. I really like how you do these top and side views. If I ever get to doing a town map myself I only hope I can pull it off half as well.
    Thanks Jax It adds a lot of exrtra time and effort.
    This client was willing to pay for that. Usually they aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    As I already told you, this type of map is really my favorite! I really love having these two views, which really give a true account of a place and a really complete view of it, as well as, often, allow to discover the context as well. I'm currently trying to make one myself, but the joint between the image seen from above and the one seen from the front is so difficult to find in order that iit remains harmonious.... I study all your maps made like this one and I am really impressed by your creativity and mastery of your art!
    Thanks Joel
    I agree - this does give more of the feel of the place.
    I have some plans to try doing some of this for regional areas.

Sometimes it is easier to have the perspective view on top.
    It can be easier to integrate, but doesn't have quite as much impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    As usual a great piece of cartographic art!
    Thank you Sap
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    It's just amazing how you managed to show the different elevation of the buildings there, and I love so much how you painted the interaction between rocks and water. Each map you draw is a lesson
    Thanks Beee I got into doing that way back with an oasis commission.
    Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    It won't let me rep but as always this is another great map that meets your usual high standards.
    Thanks QED no worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Very nice, how did you do to manage to make coincide the isometric view of the Town withthe perpendicular one? Looks very precise .
    Thanks Stefano. It's not as precise as it may seem.
    This one was more difficult than the others.
    All of the rock stuff just made it a lot more complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lazy One View Post
    The double perspective on the map is quite surprising!

+1 on the geometry accuracy question: how did you keep the two views consistent?
    Thanks L1 easy answer - with much difficulty.
    This is version 3 of the perspective. The first two were wrong in differing ways.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 03-05-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks Voolf
    Thanks L1 easy answer - with much difficulty.
    This is version 3 of the perspective. The first two were wrong in differing ways.
    That's interesting!

With my usual workflow, for perspective i usually do a 3D model and hand-drawn (ink on paper) over a light outline of a render. This could really save you some time too! If you're interested, drop me a PM!
    Once you get the hang of the basics, 3D modelling is an extremely quick solution!

That's interesting!

With my usual workflow, for perspective i usually do a 3D model and hand-drawn (ink on paper) over a light outline of a render. This could really save you some time too! If you're interested, drop me a PM!
    Once you get the hang of the basics, 3D modelling is an extremely quick solution!
    I appreciate the offer L1. Very generous.
    I've worked with 3d in the past, and am familiar with the technique.
    It's more problematic with the organic rock/hill shapes and the changing terrain levels.
    I can model it, but it just takes so much longer.
    I've also been trying to challenge myself to improve on my visualization.

I appreciate the offer L1. Very generous.
    I've worked with 3d in the past, and am familiar with the technique.
    It's more problematic with the organic rock/hill shapes and the changing terrain levels.
    I can model it, but it just takes so much longer.
    I've also been trying to challenge myself to improve on my visualization.
    Complex geometries don't help much, but knowing what you're after (which is a volume study rather than an actual 3D model) it could still be a quicker way.
    This is definitely a very good exercise of volumes, anyways.

I love how you render a sense of depth & altitude here. And you're master of the transition between top-down map and illustration, but we already knew that.
    Another master piece!

Guild Apprentice

Looks fantastic! The added side perspective truly breathes life into the map, while the verticality of the location and architecture adds a lot in terms of character and draws the viewer's interest.

(Technically the town has a theater, not an amphitheater--the latter is surrounded by seating.)

Complex geometries don't help much, but knowing what you're after (which is a volume study rather than an actual 3D model) it could still be a quicker way.
    This is definitely a very good exercise of volumes, anyways.
    ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I love how you render a sense of depth & altitude here. And you're master of the transition between top-down map and illustration, but we already knew that.
    Another master piece!
    I try. It was challenging, no question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Looks fantastic! The added side perspective truly breathes life into the map, while the verticality of the location and architecture adds a lot in terms of character and draws the viewer's interest.

(Technically the town has a theater, not an amphitheater--the latter is surrounded by seating.)
    Thanks Lars
    Interesting... I didnb't know that.
    Wouldn't change though, as I was just placing names I was given.

Haha, I just saw this map on DA five seconds ago. It looks good on both sites!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast