Thread: My Homegrown World of Arith

Default My Homegrown World of Arith

This is a map of the North-Central portion of Caldonia, a continent from my world.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caldonia - North Temperate.PNG 
Views:	129 
Size:	7.94 MB 
ID:	114698

Default and a close-up of the Westlands

Name:	Westlands.PNG 
Views:	61 
Size:	7.35 MB 
ID:	114808
    From the previous map, this is a close-up of the Westlands, where much of the story occurs.

Hey Autumnfyr!

First, as I can see that you are a new member to the guild, let me say welcome! And as I recognize some of the elements in your map (I use cc3+ as well), let me say I'm looking forward to seeing you progress and grow as a cc3+ cartographer!

This is actually the first time I've ever seen someone use the hexagonal versions of these styles. I also like the way you have blended the Herman Weilink style with some of the others... that shows great creativity!

These are some great first maps. You've managed to figure out how to use the political borders, I've yet to play around with those, and I've been using cc3+ for over 3 years!

I do have some suggestions on how you can make this map even better. My first suggestion, is to take a look at one of the basic, and most used sheet effects in cc3+, the Edge Fade, Inner. If you notice on your map, your lines between the different land/sea features, and the contours around your mountains, are very hard. An edge fade, inner effect on those contours and land features would help them blend together in a more seamless fashion. You will need to put each of your land features and contours on separate sheets to do this, otherwise where different features cross, those lines will stay hard. But if you want to see the difference, here is a map I've made, using the edge fade, inner :
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=43914

I would also suggest a small, dark glow on your land masses, to help them stand out just a bit more against your oceans.

Of course, feel free to take my suggestions and throw them out the window. Everyone has their own style of doing things, I'm looking forward to seeing yours develop!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Default Thanks for the advice

Thanks Ladiestorm for the advice. Actually been mapping for a while. The Fractal Terrain version of Arith was generated in 2008, but I didn't think my earlier maps were worth posting. I just started revamping Arith and took a crack at the Tome of Ultimate Mapping to try and make my maps better, and been very pleased with the improvements. So suggestions are extremely helpful. The hexes are just a hex grid, its not created using the hex style (not even sure how I'd do that), since the world was created as a RPG game world. I will try your suggestions, and post the results if I can get them to work.

A further close up of the Northern Kingdom in the Westlands.

Name:	Westlands - Northern Kingdom.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	8.40 MB 
ID:	114997