Thread: Help with town map: ideas for outlying areas

Guild Apprentice

Default Help with town map: ideas for outlying areas

Hi,

I would like some suggestions on how to make the outlying fields on the map below less boring, yet adhere to the overall style and purpose of the map. The city is Arcy (faux-Paris) in a setting chronologically corresponding to the later 16th century.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arcy.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	114007(The original is 5k x 5k pixels)

As you can see, the map is 100% functional and not artistic in any way (simply because I completely lack such talent!), and supposed to be usable as a player map in a role-playing context. I like it in general, but the outlaying areas are simply too empty. Cropping it is not an option since I want to include the faubourgs.

Slapping on some labels somewhat alleviates the issue, but not completely (and I apologize to all French-speakers for my mix of Google translate and made-up French toponymy).

Name:	Arcy, labels.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	114008

The obvious answer to my problem is to add cultivated fields outside the city, but I can't find a style in which to do it that I like. The focus of the map is the city itself, so the outlying areas should not distract from that; this means I would prefer to keep whatever is there simple and the colors to a minimum, since the city is simple and all black and white. I tried the following

Name:	Arcy test.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	114010 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arcy  test2.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	114011

but weren't too happy with the results. The first one is too greyish, the second too colorful. (Also, there should be some woodland, not only open fields).

Good folks, do you have any helpful suggestions? I keep leaving maps 90 % finished and was hoping to actually complete this one.

Guild Novice

Personally, I like the approach, what program/programs are you using?

Guild Member

I like the second much better than the first, because I like the contrast in field colors. It has a definite Gandwarf feel to it. However, because you want to fill in the countryside without detracting from the color of your city, I'd suggest going with variations of tan from light to dark, rather than having a divergence of colors ranging from light to dark greens, light to dark tans and the reddish colors.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Starlord View Post
    Personally, I like the approach, what program/programs are you using?
    Thanks! Everything (except the bits in the coats-of-arms, which I borrowed online) are made in my old, trusty Photoshop CS3. The map is basically the result of liberal use of the pen tool for paths and shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscivorous View Post
    I like the second much better than the first, because I like the contrast in field colors. It has a definite Gandwarf feel to it. However, because you want to fill in the countryside without detracting from the color of your city, I'd suggest going with variations of tan from light to dark, rather than having a divergence of colors ranging from light to dark greens, light to dark tans and the reddish colors.
    Thank you for the input. After stepping away from the map for a while and then returning, I have to agree that using colors for the fields is the right way forward. I was hesitant because I wanted to be able to make variations of the map where I'd use color inside the city to denote things like varying wealth distribution, crime rates, professional composition, etc, and I didn't want colored fields to confuse things. But using muted, natural-looking colors for the cultivated areas and more saturated, vibrant colors inside the city, should get around that.

So here is a look for the fields that I think I'm comfortable with.

Name:	Arcy, small.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	114034

Now I just need to add some wooded areas to complete the map.

Guild Member

Very nice Lars. I'm looking forward to your treatment of the wooded areas.

Guild Apprentice

I was unsure as to how much woodland there would be this close to a major city, and also how cultivated (as opposed to natural) it should look. I decided that there would be some, mostly coppiced woods, but also areas of more mature woods used for timber and autumnal pasturaging of pigs on acorns and mast. Originally I used different shades of green to contrast the two types of woods, but not really liking the result I ended up sticking to one uniform color.

Anyways, this is the completed map (unless I've missed something/goofed in some way--if so, please tell me!).

Name:	Arcy, 2k.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	114080

--EDIT: Is there anyway to change the title of the thread? I would like to add something like '[Finished]' or '[Completed]' in front of the thread title, since I was asking for help but no longer need it.
    Last edited by Lars; 03-11-2019 at 05:41 AM.

I really like the kind of rustic vibe I'm getting from these maps

Default Woodlands, how and when

Before I add forest and woodlands to a map I am drawing the first thing I need to do is decide what the elevation of the geography (am I in the mountains or beside a lake, river, or on the coast) this will help determine the type of fauna and what the landscape will look like.Then I ask what is my city size, what is the city known for and what is the city made from. So if for example I have a geography that is 500' above sea level this will decide the density of the surrounding fauna, the type of fauna, and the thickness of the trees. Now I decide that the city is build from stonework from a nearby mine, this will increase the amount of surrounding forest land. However if the city is largely based upon wooden structures it will decrease the amount of surrounding forest land. If my city is known for its military strength, this will vastly decrease the forested area, if however it is known for its abundant hunting this will increase the forested area. Ultimately though, when you draw a map, you the creator need to know how realistic you want the map and its geography, this will decide how forested the surrounding area is. Hope this helps.

got some information from these maps