Thread: Fantasy world map - looking for a world-builder to help with realism/details

Default Fantasy world map - looking for a world-builder to help with realism/details

Hello! I'm a fantasy novelist who will potentially want to commission a large number of maps over time, but the scope of this post is just to cover one. I have created a rough world map and I would like some help making an improved version. This map will only be used internally: the goal is less to create a beautiful image than to nail down all the world's details.

As such, I am looking for someone who likes dealing with details of realism. I have tried to consider tectonic plates and global wind cycles, but I am not an expert. I'm a bit uncertain about the land/water ratio and I can't get the rivers on one continent to work out how I want them. >_< There are also lots of details that cartographers tend to consider that I miss. Though I have one novel written (unpublished) and a ton of ideas already set, at this stage the world is flexible, so I am looking for a partner who likes this sort of thing.

Project Scope: One rough world map with six continents, working from my scanned map.

Style: Irrelevant, as only myself and other people on my team will see it.

Quality: It can be rough and black/white, but needs to cover a moderate level of detail over an entire world.

Time Constraints: Pretty flexible. The first novel is not scheduled for release until I publish several other books.

Copyright: Though I don't need to show anyone, I suppose I'd like reproduction rights on this one. Also, I would ask that you not post it publicly for reasons of spoilers. If we did any future maps together for reader purposes you could of course post those, this is just because the shape of the overall world includes plot information.

Payment: Flexible via PayPal. I really don't know what would be fair for something like this, so some idea as to what you would expect for participating in the design process would be helpful.

Contact Details: I can't send/receive PMs yet, so posts here would be great. If everybody prefers email I can post it if necessary.

Hello I am about to start a new project test based on tectonics , if you want I can divert it toward your needs according to respect some conditions we can in case discuss later.
    Consider that a realistic world with plenty of study of tectonics, winds, climates etc, requires a lot of work and its not a cheap job.
    That said here is part of my portfolio on worldmaking.

If you are interested you can contact me directly here.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Hello I am about to start a new project test based on tectonics , if you want I can divert it toward your needs according to respect some conditions we can in case discuss later.
    Consider that a realistic world with plenty of study of tectonics, winds, climates etc, requires a lot of work and its not a cheap job.
    That said here is part of my portfolio on worldmaking.

If you are interested you can contact me directly here.
    Thanks for your interest! I looked at your DA and I couldn't find an email address, though? I don't have a DA account myself, sorry.

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the guild. I'm a Scottish cartographer, and my portfolio is here. I've worked on numerous book maps in the past and I always try to make the geography as plausible as I can, without breaking the attached story. If you'd like to discuss this further, I can be reached at ryan@ryansthomason.com.

Mail sent.
    Last edited by Naima; 03-13-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    My mail is *****
    Let me know when u read it so I delete .
    Got it and sent you an email - thanks for your interest!

I won't be making a decision immediately, so I welcome anyone else who wants to contact me about this project.

The map has been taken; thanks to everyone who applied!

Mods, I haven't figured out how to retag my post, but it can be moved to the appropriate place.