Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Terror on Tramonta

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Default February 2019 Challenge: Terror on Tramonta

Terror? Well… that might be stretching it, but Archie's always been a bit dramatic. Here's the brief that I was given by Abu Lafia. We decided to create another tale of our roguish space duo who was first created in this same challenge a couple years back…

"Ever since their overhasty departure from the luxurious leisure planet Moar-el-Leguano two weeks ago, Archie‘s and Salazar‘s fate once again seemed to twist not less hasty in a direction the both seem to attract as a light bulb attracts moths: Trouble! On their way out they had a chance to capture the freshly launched honeymoon-space-yacht of the upstart syndicate boss Zickebart Weeze. Yet due to a problem with a malfunctioning airlock in the storeroom, the whole stock of delicious créme de la créme food was sucked into space, leaving them only with an imperial ton of spicy Ganyun Oysters (anyone who has ever eaten these before knows that at least two or three stomachs are needed to digest them properly…). So the opportunity to seize a small cargo freighter some days later was the only hope for our two starving friends. They could easily survive the next days on that container full of semi-rotten Banotans… In it, amidst that juicy, sticky mess, Archie found a strange object promising their next adventure... "
    The commission is very open with the following requirements:
    The map is of the ground below the Tramonta Archipelago
    Archie will encounter:
    -a ghost
    -deadly bangam spiders (who eat both banotan fruits and humanoids)
    -terrain obstacles
    -a tribe
    -a space tavern in the middle of nowhere

Archie, puzzled about that strange object (the fermented banotans might have played their part too), consulted the oracle he learned about during his time with the boocanyrs. Asking about what awaits him in this new adventure, he threw his three lucky andromedanian doubloons…
    So there's also some esoteric and delightfully open-to-interpretation bits of the oracle reading which I'll include in the WIP posts as I go.

I'm sorry? What was that? This challenge started in FEBRUARY!? Well I'd better get going then, hadn't I!

I've been thinking about this map for a fair while, just the doing got a bit put off. We'll see if the universe offers a little time to all of us who are still plugging away.

I'll start with a border…

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tramonta-wip2.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	114211

cheers,
    Meshon

I'm really struggling with the flowing river of goo (or maybe hardened goo, or lava, who knows!) that's coming down the middle of the map. Here's a little more work anyway.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Tramonta-wip5.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	114217

Wow, this is a very cool start! I love the frame!

Yay, a goo river! I really enjoy these mountain ridges and the hints of story with the buildings. I'll see what i can achieve with my map until the deadline. Agree with Domino about the frame btw.! Lovely ornamental design. Curious what that rope(?) is for.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Great start! The whole composition feels very intriguing

Cheers,
    Karl

Nice job on the linework, very cartoony. This is a fun piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hehe, promising, fun and mysterious. Now we can just cross fingers and hope for a new update soon

Well, finishing on time doesn't seem likely at this point, but I was reading a Dr. Seuss book earlier and… this is a lot of fun! Finish for the challenge or not, this one will get done soon I'm having a great time with it. Thanks Abu Lafia!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Tramonta-wip6.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	523.8 KB 
ID:	114279

Finished or not, it's a really fun piece.