Thread: City as Generative Locus (WIP)

Blog Entries

Wip City as Generative Locus (WIP)

Two small hand-drawns maps in my 5'' by 8.25'' Moleskin....

I am exploring the idea of a city as a generative locus -- particular locations in a world that generate various properties -- hence the protective walls around the creek headwaters that flow through both cities.

Enjoy!

Note: I'd love to hear comments, suggestions, tips, etc. I've only recently restarted creating hand-drawn maps.

Also, both are really small maps.... only a few inches longer than a pen!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.16.19 sulla map city generative locus.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	114229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city I sulla 3.10.19.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	114230  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Hi!

I would actually like you to elaborate what you wish to accomplish with these city maps. It would help to get a clear idea on what kind of feedback or tips to give.

That said, something did catch my eye on the first one, so bear with me here. Is those short marks suggesting elevation in some way? And those long dark lines, are they rivers? If they are, then I would make a suggestion to keep in mind, rivers flow to the lowest point, either the ocean or a lake, or something in that fashion. Now, if your dash lines suggest elevation, then if I am not mistaken it seems as if the river is going up at some places, also if it is flowing INTO the city then it branching off and just stopping without a body of water is quite strange.
    I would suggest adding at least some basic shading on the shadow side of the elevation parts to make it more clear where the elevation is. Also, to make sure the river is acting properly.
    (Just so you know, I absolutely know that even a small city can be a lot of work. This is just some observations. )
    Last edited by XCali; 03-17-2019 at 02:48 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Blog Entries

Thank you for the comment.

However, I must confess, I am incredibly confused by your comments relating to elevation... the river (or rather small creek perhaps) is absolutely flowing from the highest to the lowest point (starting at springs in the city and flowing outward into the plain). That said, perhaps there is something I could do to indicate the springs!

As for what I want to accomplish, I'm not exactly sure at the moment -- as I mentioned, I only started making them again after more than a decade.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hey

I did say, "If I am not mistaken". Still, it does bring to mind then that the lineart is a bit unclear in how it defines what is going on maybe.
    A question then, if you don't mind me asking. Where is the river flowing from in the first image? I will admit, even now looking at it, it is hard to get an idea. Is the river's source inside the city? Which is somewhat odd if it is not mountainous, in my opinion, reason being fountains would only sprout a small creek whereas mountains has a lot of water collecting in ravines to come together and then form the river.
    If it is flowing from outside the map in, then my first post would make more sense.

A big reason why I am asking is, asking makes one think about certain things about a map. And thinking about it may help going forward in planning another map.

P.s. Like I alluded to in the first post, I know intimately that city maps can be a lot a work. So, I just want to be of assistance if I can. Good luck.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Blog Entries

Yes, the creeks are flowing from those small series of hills within the walls. Springs are often at the base of hills -- and yes, it is not supposed to be a major mountain range but rather a small creek (with special properties, hence its headwaters are within the city) near a series of small hills. Does that make more sense?

In the (distant) past I have made maps with FAR more geographic definition. Rivers flowing from major mountains into lakes (think the Aral Sea) while others flow in to the ocean....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sulla map 2017.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	114333
    Last edited by Sulla; 03-19-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Blog Entries

And, as they are sooooo incredibly small, what would you recommend for shading? I only interested in techniques I could do by hand... possible a brown ink wash? Something of that nature?

I have to say, it seems perfectly clear to me. That water will be flowing in a low area, not atop a ridge, pretty much solves any initial ambiguity.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the water is flowing in a slight chasm -- hence the elevation lines next to the river -- the high points are in the city to the south where the creek originates and outside the city to the South East where there are a series of towers.

I went ahead and diversified my stash of micro pens -- perhaps I'll integrate some more color to be clearer.