Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP, an attempt via learning

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's looking real nice, Deeds. My map-related thoughts, in no particular order:

• You actually should remove the compass rose; you've already got lat/long on the map; it makes the compass redundant.
    • I would be careful about going overboard on the number of different fonts. A map will generally look more cohesive if you use only one or two fonts, and then vary the size/color/opacity for different things, like city names, physical features, etc.
    • I would also avoid 'tilting' your labels if at all possible. It tends to be visually distracting. If you have to do it, make sure the ones you do are consistent with each other. Here, you've got one curved label, and the rest just tilted.
    • A small key might be helpful, especially if you plan to put any more info on the map. I'm guessing the green dots are ruins?

As for your other question, no, I don't believe there's a tagging feature at the Guild for mentioning other members. Oh, also there's no need to throw in ### Latest WIP ### in this subforum. We save that for the Challenge forums so the thumbnail scraper there can pick up images.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's looking real nice, Deeds. My map-related thoughts, in no particular order:

• You actually should remove the compass rose; you've already got lat/long on the map; it makes the compass redundant.
    • I would be careful about going overboard on the number of different fonts. A map will generally look more cohesive if you use only one or two fonts, and then vary the size/color/opacity for different things, like city names, physical features, etc.
    • I would also avoid 'tilting' your labels if at all possible. It tends to be visually distracting. If you have to do it, make sure the ones you do are consistent with each other. Here, you've got one curved label, and the rest just tilted.
    • A small key might be helpful, especially if you plan to put any more info on the map. I'm guessing the green dots are ruins?

As for your other question, no, I don't believe there's a tagging feature at the Guild for mentioning other members. Oh, also there's no need to throw in ### Latest WIP ### in this subforum. We save that for the Challenge forums so the thumbnail scraper there can pick up images.
    Thanks! All of this is really helpful. Maybe your ears (eyes?) were burning? After I had posted my last version, but before I saw your post I was looking at some maps by you and Daelin (separately made), in particular on how the labels were laid out; you guys seem to do a great job of making the hierarchies easily comprehensible and the labels readable (while I am sure there are other maps on here too, Bannarith Empire, Dolorond, and Central Alemnia were catching my eye yesterday).

The green dots are indeed ruins, I don't think I'll be adding any more icon types, so maybe I can squeeze by without a key, but I may try a version with one instead of the language detail. Also appreciate the tips and answers to the forum questions. I'm going to tinker a bit, but try to withhold posting until I have something substantially different (or that I've at least reflected on a bit).

Guild Apprentice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K6.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	10.30 MB 
ID:	114892
    So I think I might put this to the side for now; here is the final tinkering (at least for the time being), just trying to incorporate some of the feedback received mostly on the labels and what not (and it does improve the map, at least for me), thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts. I tried messing with something else besides the language map at the bottom, but nothing worked out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kel rouge bleu noire carte.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	558.7 KB 
ID:	114893
    And here is a version inspired by some old French school maps, I left too many isolated levels, and used one fewer height levels, but something I may try to refine later. I'll post some pictures of the one that inspired me in another thread, I really love its black starkness. Here is where I posted some (poorly taken) photos of the original: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...766#post398766
    Last edited by Deeds; 04-15-2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12