Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP, an attempt via learning

Guild Apprentice

Wip WIP, an attempt via learning

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kel1-for wilbur2_green.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	5.16 MB 
ID:	114296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kel1-for wilbur2_green.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	5.16 MB 
ID:	114296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kel1-for wilbur2_arid brown.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	4.78 MB 
ID:	114297

My first attempt at making a map, after reading tutorials and reading a lot here. A long way to go (Where are the rivers? ha! I have Wilbur, but haven't figured it out yet, but will keep on trying or just draw some in; though rivers are just one example of something lacking), and will need to work on style as well, but maybe I can get some feedback or at least be pushed to keep on working away. I realize it is heavy on the satellite style which not everyone likes.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

It is a good start. A solid foundation. Keep it up.

I will admit, I would add a Gaussian blur on the shallows around the land, they are too solid if that makes any sense. (Or lower the opacity just a tad of that Layer, if it is on its own layer.)
    With the rivers, remember on thing rivers rarely split on their path down to the lowest point. Deltas are fine. And imagine a tree's branches feeding down into the main limb.
    For more realism, you can account for rain and dry side of mountains to inform your river choice, THOUGH, keep in mind there are rivers going through even desert like regions in the real world. (One example is the river I often hike next to, the Fish river in the Fish River Canyon.)
    Hope this helps.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback XCali! That makes sense regarding the coastal shallows; I do have a gimp file where all the ocean layers are still separate (then I collapsed them into one layer when working on the land, but can go back to the separate save; helps with the file size and computer power (whatever that is)).

Didn't realize I double posted the green version.

I started looking for mapping info while developing a desert world for an rpg campaign I will GM (just for fun, not commercial); and was looking at lots of pictures of Namibia for inspiration. I've been fascinated by the area since I gave a class presentation on Namibia in school when I was about 11 and no one had heard of it. That said, I did not know anything specifically about Fish River Canyon, looks beautiful, and helpful for mapping. Btw, this test map won't be (I don't think) for the rpg game, but was just to learn techniques and the software. So much cool stuff on the Guild forums (info and maps).

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Thanks for the feedback XCali! That makes sense regarding the coastal shallows; I do have a gimp file where all the ocean layers are still separate (then I collapsed them into one layer when working on the land, but can go back to the separate save; helps with the file size and computer power (whatever that is)).

Didn't realize I double posted the green version.

I started looking for mapping info while developing a desert world for an rpg campaign I will GM (just for fun, not commercial); and was looking at lots of pictures of Namibia for inspiration. I've been fascinated by the area since I gave a class presentation on Namibia in school when I was about 11 and no one had heard of it. That said, I did not know anything specifically about Fish River Canyon, looks beautiful, and helpful for mapping. Btw, this test map won't be (I don't think) for the rpg game, but was just to learn techniques and the software. So much cool stuff on the Guild forums (info and maps).
    Cool, Namibia is such an incredibly beautiful place.

As for a ocean and coastal areas, I found it MUCH easier to choose an Ocean Texture and then on a layer or two above I start adding shading and highlights for the shadows. Here is my Tutorial if you are interested.

Also, if you want some free to use maps for your campaign, then you can check out my thread.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like this, but I am a huge sucker for this style. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the water effects around the coastlines; seems a bit too busy. You've got a solid blue line, horizontal lines, AND a light blue glow. Maybe emphasize one and make the other two much more subtle? But that's minor; the landmass layout is awesome and realistic, and the terrain looks great.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for all the feedback!
    @Diamond -you're correct regarding the coastlines, I got a bit carried away, I think I'll end up using the concentric for this one, though might distress some of them later on. I've really enjoyed a lot of your maps, an inspiration to me.

@Xcali - I was checking out some of your battlemap stuff the other day; and found a helpful thread about Roll20 sizes and such (I think another Guild member was responding to you, either way it helped me).

Not sure if I've done the attachment correctly, will redo is if I gunked it up. But here is a new version with 83.56% more mouse clicks; with the following goals (none quite reached):
    -smooth out the west coast a bit;
    -lop off the northern tip of the main landmass, so that it can really be a regional map;
    -redo the coast edging;
    -infinitesimal tweaking of shadows and highlights and layer blends (that perhaps made it worse);
    -toying with the idea of a sea of tar, and thus hurriedly stuck some oil paint textures in for the sea, but haven't smoothly joined the sections at this point;

Name:	Kel_v2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	114343

Guild Apprentice

Name:	Kel4_WIP.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	927.7 KB 
ID:	114517

I got rid of the oil sea; I like the idea, but maybe not for this map style.

I'm now messing with fonts, the style for the oceans is the only one I'm satisfied with; please drop some thoughts regarding the fonts (or anything else too). I need to fill in the side boxes and redo the title as well, but this gives an idea of the framing.

### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by Deeds; 03-26-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Name:	Kel border test2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	977.6 KB 
ID:	114528

Some small updates, but now I'm not loving the icons used. Still learning Inkscape, and hopefully will have some bent text soon. And then really, if I could draw, I'd draw some diagram thing of the domes the cities have (they are subsurface, but just), but I can't draw, maybe the Internet + Inkscape/Gimp can get it done later. Might just set it aside and try another map and come back to this after learning a bit more.

### Latest WIP ###

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I think you're making good progress! It's difficult to learn at the same time as you draw a map "for real", but the result is encouraging. I'm happy to see what happens next.

Guild Apprentice

I haven't been able to stop tinkering; here is a revised version. I am interested in hearing any criticism on the labeling, colors for icons and elements, and overall cohesiveness of it (or anything else too). I was looking at Robulos's Helevos maps, and while mine is a far cry from those efforts, I may have gotten bitten by that early 20th century style (not that I really pulled it off, but originally I had a more antique look in mind). I already feel that the icon colors, paper texture tinting and compass rose are a bit much, but am too lazy to change before posting (and am curios what others think).

I've cheated regarding rivers, trees and green things in general by saying this is on the moon of a gas giant (which is maybe why they can measure longitude already?) with a highly elliptical orbit and this map is at the perihelion; all rivers have dried up and plants have withered, but also all ice caps are melted for the time being. I'm likely still fudging it a lot on science, but I never got to vote on our universe's laws of physics, so … this is my chance?

Anyways, boom, bap, here is a map:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kel_v5 WIP.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	6.66 MB 
ID:	114601

### Latest WIP ###

Thanks for the feedback Jo! It is definitely different than what I envisioned at the start, but maybe after a few more I will be able to more readily achieve what I imagine (but I'll still leave room for creative accidents).

(Finally, is it proper etiquette to "tag" someone if I mention them? such as Robulus or Jo in this post, if so can someone please point me to the info on how to do this, I searched the FAQ and didn't see it). I do know you can quote from a prior post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast