Thread: so glad I found this site!

Default so glad I found this site!

I've been interesting in making maps for fictional worlds for a while now, somewhat for its own sake (somewhat for occasional spec. fic. stories I write) and have been looking for a place to really delve into the details. I'm a pretty 'science' driven person, so the fact that the fora include threads discussing that aspect (and even a "river police", lol) is a huge plus for me.
    :-)

I'm hoping to eventually create worlds in Blender just for the heck of it but that adds "learn Blender" to "learn how to create workable fictional worlds", so we'll see....

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by science&creativity View Post
    I've been interesting in making maps for fictional worlds for a while now, somewhat for its own sake (somewhat for occasional spec. fic. stories I write) and have been looking for a place to really delve into the details. I'm a pretty 'science' driven person, so the fact that the fora include threads discussing that aspect (and even a "river police", lol) is a huge plus for me.
    :-)

I'm hoping to eventually create worlds in Blender just for the heck of it but that adds "learn Blender" to "learn how to create workable fictional worlds", so we'll see....
    Welcome! I'm new here too.

Just a word of warning, Blender has a really steep learning curve to it. It's a powerful program but has several idiosyncrasies to learn if you want to use it correctly. If I get back into 3d worldbuilding I'll probably consider something more standard and easier to use.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild! Good luck with Blender; some folks around here use it for some amazing work.

Guild Apprentice
    Blog Entries

Blender is great. I use it on my Ubuntu Studio laptop with great ease. It is an intimidating software to work with but it is powerful. I recommend starting small with quick tutorials and looking into Blenders plugins. Blender has a lot of plugins which will probably help in your endeavors.

Good luck!

hey, thanks for the replies!
    yeah, I've played with Blender some already, and definitely agree it's got a steep learning curve/somewhat intimidating interface. the big trade-off for me is 'steep learning curve' vs. 'can do amazing work and is available for free'/voluntary donation within the budget, lol. Thanks for the tip about starting with the basic tutorials. I've got a couple sites bookmarked, so it's a matter of actually sitting down and going through them rather than thinking 'oh, i'll figure it out' (haha - if only). I haven't really messed with the plug-ins so far, but I'll keep that in mind as something to look at!