Thread: Climatic Zones in a World Map

Help Climatic Zones in a World Map

Hey everyone!

I still have a lot to learn when it comes to creating a map, and I have been experimenting a lot lately to find my own style but also towards the goal of making my maps more believable.

Right now, I am trying to learn more about climatic zones and some general rule on that subject.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Also, this is a recent map I did trying to implement a bit what I learned, if you could give me some feedback about the climatic zones on it, that would be awesome.

Thank you all

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	climatic teste .jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	114449

I would say that areas closer to the sea are less likely to have a snowcap, look, at iceland wher snow is concentrated in the inside of the island. It's abit hard to give more advice on the climate without the geography of the whole planet and a scale, but it looks like what we have on earth so you can probably go with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Abdel View Post
    I would say that areas closer to the sea are less likely to have a snowcap, look, at iceland wher snow is concentrated in the inside of the island. It's abit hard to give more advice on the climate without the geography of the whole planet and a scale, but it looks like what we have on earth so you can probably go with this.
    Thank you for your advice Jean-Abdel.
    Yes I am using what we have on earth on this one to get the grasp of it, I should have mention it initially, sorry about that.
    For the northern areas, I actually had Greenland in mind, but thinking of it now, there are some areas on the coast line that don't have snow. I have to find the reason why does this happen. Also the transition from the lower to upper north regions can definitely be improved using what you have said. Again, thank you

Basic rules
    - areas close to the sea are often warmer depending on your current systems
    - keep in mind equators and latitudes (extreme norths and souths are more cold)
    - higher mountains tend to be colder unless near the ocean
    - salty seas will often times cause warmer coastlines
    - often times mtns will have one side that is very forested and dense and other other will be dry and hot ex (Rocky Mtns) this is due to rainfall and how cold air and rain can be walled off by mtns on one side causing drastic difference in biome
    -bay regions usually will be colder as the sea air is winded into the land and held there by succeeding mtns
    Hope this was helpful, enjoy your adventures in mapping

Quote Originally Posted by Creativetides View Post
    Basic rules
    - areas close to the sea are often warmer depending on your current systems
    - keep in mind equators and latitudes (extreme norths and souths are more cold)
    - higher mountains tend to be colder unless near the ocean
    - salty seas will often times cause warmer coastlines
    - often times mtns will have one side that is very forested and dense and other other will be dry and hot ex (Rocky Mtns) this is due to rainfall and how cold air and rain can be walled off by mtns on one side causing drastic difference in biome
    -bay regions usually will be colder as the sea air is winded into the land and held there by succeeding mtns
    Hope this was helpful, enjoy your adventures in mapping
    Thank you Creativetides, this is really helpfull =D