Thread: Continent Map: Narridia

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Help [WIP] Continent Map: Narridia

Hi everyone. I've revisiting my Continent of Narridia, and overall I like the progress I'm making, but I'm having a sort of executive dysfunction, I guess. I think part of the problem is that I'm a bit afraid that my biomes might be too blocky, if that makes sense. I also haven't figured out a good way to draw desert badlands. As far as scale goes, it's supposed to be roughly the size of Europe or Australia, but it's also on a planet that's close to the size of Mars.

I've just been using a very cheap sketch pad that I bought at Target, I think it's 18"x22". I just took a picture from my phone what I've been working on, so please excuse the poor lighting and possible image quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Narridia-Political.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	114322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Narridia-Color.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	114321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New-Narridia-Pen.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	114323

Off to the left/west of the map, we have a huge desert. This is because of a Devestation Event that happened in the past and rather killed off most of the landscape on that side. Continuing to the right, we have mountains with forests, and then a substantial grasslands.

On the south-east, we have another large forest, which is ideally supposed to be jungle-like, and it's supposed to blend into a swamp, when then again blends into marshlands. I feel pretty strongly that I may have made the swamp/marshlands rather large.

In the northwest, we have another smaller mountain range, which again is foreseted and above it is a tundra-like biome.

I think that's evertything I've detailed so far.
    Last edited by the-golem; 03-18-2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Adding more information

Guild Novice

Given the size of the continent and the scale of the map I wouldn't worry about the size of the biomes as long as their isn't going to be any abrupt transitions between them. Even within a small or limited area there could be different temperatures or climes.

Good work so far!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by jderek View Post
    Given the size of the continent and the scale of the map I wouldn't worry about the size of the biomes as long as their isn't going to be any abrupt transitions between them. Even within a small or limited area there could be different temperatures or climes.

Good work so far!
    Thanks for replying so quickly! Sorry it took me so long to post back to you. Are you sure the biomes will mostly be okay? The marsh feels like it's the size of Germany, which just seems huuuuge.

I’d say the size of your mtns plays a visual joke on you and makes this map look the size of a Canadian province not a continent, if you felt like making it look larger, add smaller mtns and more of them. I like the size of the biomes don’t worry about that, if you want to do something about it maybe create sub biomes I.E instead of a huge swamp, have swamp, then Everglades then marsh, then have it rise up to a grassland or plain to give the effect of a large scale gradual difference in the landmass.