Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Large Dungeon Near College Town

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Solid improvement! What did you decide with the frosty room?
    Thanx. I am actually happy how it turned out.

Hmm, still thinking about how to go about the frost area. For now I went ahead with the forgotten section under the College itself, the 3d map of the set.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	College_Forgotten_Underground_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	114540

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I have not read every reply, just skimmed, so I apologize if I missed something.

in one of your earlier posts, you mentioned the lower entrance is opened up and beasties are let loose. If that's the case, from a story perspective, I would suggest two things:

1) make the entrance MUCH smaller, say around 2-4 feet wide at most( it appears around 15-20 feet wide, and spread some rubble around at the base, including a few very large boulders, possibly having a slope down away from the entrance and toward the town. Its a bit hard to tell due to the darkness of the map overall, but you might already have the slope(it kind of appears that it might).

2) have above said opening created by a recent earthquake or some such, creating the newly found opening.

it's clear that the town is lower than the entrance to the cave, just not by how much. I would also suggest making the lower cave much higher up from the top entrance and ruins to make it harder to access(such as say a cliff face south of the ruins

Alternately, you could have any other event create/free the opening, but it should be something that recently happened within the past few days. I know in most cases, if a new cave opened up a few hundred feet from a town, there would be something to go in there in the first few days(possibly to disappear spurning the wandering adventuring party upon the town the investigate just in the nick of time)

Is the new entrance something that's known in town as being covered over(perhaps people in the town buried it at some point in the past and forgot about WHY?) or are they completely unaware its there?

There's loads more questions, but to not just throw out loads of things, it really needs the beginnings of a hook.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I have not read every reply, just skimmed, so I apologize if I missed something.

in one of your earlier posts, you mentioned the lower entrance is opened up and beasties are let loose. If that's the case, from a story perspective, I would suggest two things:

1) make the entrance MUCH smaller, say around 2-4 feet wide at most( it appears around 15-20 feet wide, and spread some rubble around at the base, including a few very large boulders, possibly having a slope down away from the entrance and toward the town. Its a bit hard to tell due to the darkness of the map overall, but you might already have the slope(it kind of appears that it might).

2) have above said opening created by a recent earthquake or some such, creating the newly found opening.

it's clear that the town is lower than the entrance to the cave, just not by how much. I would also suggest making the lower cave much higher up from the top entrance and ruins to make it harder to access(such as say a cliff face south of the ruins

Alternately, you could have any other event create/free the opening, but it should be something that recently happened within the past few days. I know in most cases, if a new cave opened up a few hundred feet from a town, there would be something to go in there in the first few days(possibly to disappear spurning the wandering adventuring party upon the town the investigate just in the nick of time)

Is the new entrance something that's known in town as being covered over(perhaps people in the town buried it at some point in the past and forgot about WHY?) or are they completely unaware its there?

There's loads more questions, but to not just throw out loads of things, it really needs the beginnings of a hook.
    Hey! Thanks for the feedback. I have thinking about it and will considering adding several things to start moving things forward.

I will say, I think in my mind there was a small cave there but a wall collapsed inward and opened up this entire network. Secondly, I made a cliff to restrict access somewhat to the cave. I did think about you mentioning the map being dark and realised it was a bit too dark and made it a bit lighter.

I will chip at the story when I get the time, for I now I am pondering if I should add more objects to the cave system. Any ideas for that? Or should I just leave it as is and let other DMs/GMs populate the map as they wish?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	College_Dungeon_Lighter_v1.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	114591

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi

I started to break up the map into 28(I think) regions for DMs or GMs to build the adventure over time. Is this something you guys want in a map pack?

For example,
    Maps in the map pack so far:
    the Main overview Town and Cave network map grid + without grid
    The College and Town map
    Then 28 separate map depiction smaller areas like

Name:	College_Cave_Battletile_1c_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	114597 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	College_Cave_Battletile_1d_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	114598 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	College_Cave_Battletile_13a_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	114599
    And then the map under the College
    plus its smaller areas as well

Then as a plus there will be some lore around the college, the anxious teacher that disappeared and the cave wall breaking open revealing the large cave network.
    +Several location specific short adventure hooks to kick things off.
    (I can also create a night version of some of the maps?)
    --
    --
    I want to know if a map pack like this is intriguing or not? I would reeeeeeally appreciate some feedback on the idea.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Personally I wouldn't think so. Since you're already including a full map of the cave complex, I would think it rather silly to make extra work for yourself.

If you're looking for hooks, I would just include alphabetical/numerical indicators of things that may be of interest to the PC's, that could provide a hook. Say for instance the little skull, make a reason for it being displayed. Maybe it's an animal that isn't native to the land, and is known to be the exotic pet of the anxious teacher that disappeared, leading the party to believe him to have been in the cave recently.

Little snippets like that can convey a lot into the story with little effort on the GM's part.

Hope that helps, I was sort-of unclear as to what you meant by "map pack".

Cheers!

IR

Personally I wouldn't think so. Since you're already including a full map of the cave complex, I would think it rather silly to make extra work for yourself.

If you're looking for hooks, I would just include alphabetical/numerical indicators of things that may be of interest to the PC's, that could provide a hook. Say for instance the little skull, make a reason for it being displayed. Maybe it's an animal that isn't native to the land, and is known to be the exotic pet of the anxious teacher that disappeared, leading the party to believe him to have been in the cave recently.

Little snippets like that can convey a lot into the story with little effort on the GM's part.

Hope that helps, I was sort-of unclear as to what you meant by "map pack".

Cheers!

IR
    Ah, thanks.

I will make available a dungeon master version of the map with numbers or labels and tie that in with the adventure hooks I write for this.

I would say, if it wasn't for DM's using a TV for showing their encounter maps, then I would probably agree in some way. But, showing the entire map to players right of the bat is quite non-intuitive. VTT's are better in that sense since they have a "Fog of War" tool to hide the map from player and only show the part visible to the actual characters.
    Then as a side, it can be used as dungeon/cave tiles for a different adventure without being bogged down by having to use the entire map. Hope that clarifies my thinking progress in making this set.

Also, you mentioned being uncertain about what I meant about a map pack. On stores like DMsguild and DrivethruRPG, you find map packs, which is basically a collection of maps made available as one set.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Ahhh ok I see what you mean now. I'm so used to fabricating my own maps for my campaign and using a Chessex sheet that I forgot about the not showing the entire map part haha.

I suppose in that light a map pack wouldn't be a bad idea, may have to try something like that myself eventually, thanks for the idea!

Otherwise I think this is progressing very nicely, keep it up!

IR

Ahhh ok I see what you mean now. I'm so used to fabricating my own maps for my campaign and using a Chessex sheet that I forgot about the not showing the entire map part haha.

I suppose in that light a map pack wouldn't be a bad idea, may have to try something like that myself eventually, thanks for the idea!

Otherwise I think this is progressing very nicely, keep it up!

IR
    Thanks.

Yeah, I was going for something that gives some manoeuvrability to DMs.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Okay, here is the first part of a story that will accompany the map pack. I would really like to hear what you think about what it gets right and what it might need. Super thanks in advance.

### Latest WIP ###
    A story from College of Stormheart

Giant doors, with a flowing pattern of owls over its face, swung open with a groan. The halls were lit by those odd flames I was always so transfixed with as a kid, I still don’t understand what they are besides a spectacular way to light a room. Ah, it has been some time since I last set foot in this place. Taking in a deep breath brings back so many memories. Growing up in the town and only dreaming in following in my mother’s footsteps was such a big part of my childhoid. But alas, with her being the Grand master of the College always made that probability highly unlikely. Still, I remained focus on becoming a part of the place’s household names.
    Now, to get to it; my footfalls weren’t as soft on the ornate stone floors. Moving silently in this hall would be a more difficult feet than what I used to.
    “Ah, good day sir... sir! How can I be of assistance?”
    The voice startled me from my thoughts and I turned in its direction, to be met by a man in grey robes behind a counter. I smiled and approached him.
    “Hello, I was looking for my m... um Grand Master Avanlia.”
    The robed man frowned for a moment before he said,
    “I am sorry, the Grand Master is a busy woman. Especially in these last few weeks.”
    The frustration bubbled up in me, but I didn’t just want to drop that I was her son. No, I wanted to work myself up without that label. This choice was just too important.
    “Ah, forgive me. Just send her word that Gareth would like to speak to her.”
    “I will be sure to do so.” The man answered respectfully. “Is there anything else I can help you with?”
    It couldn’t be helped that I needed to wait a small while.
    “Ah, yes, it has been a long while since I have been here. I am hoping to start training here. I might need some information.”
    “Is that right? Then is there any desire to join the Blades, or a wish for something more in the line of the arcane? There is a field of training for quite a number if different adventurer types in the halls of Stormheart.”
    A smile crept up my face. Just a mention of me wanting to join had the man behaving differently. But, it’s still good to hear that the College was catering to several different paths.
    “I will see. For now I wish to head to the Blades Academy, are they still on the South East wing?”
    The man nodded and said,
    “Indeed it is. You can head there to spar if you wish. But, I have to insist that you know that if you wish to join any of the Paths, that the College makes available, there is a set of trials for each to enter into the ranks. This is not a school for the uninitiated, it is for those who wish to discover a Path more deeply.”
    I nodded, completely aware of the fact. It might seem daunting to someone not committed to their field of training, but for me it just excited me. I loved a challenge.
    With that, I left down the long hallway with many rooms going by on my sides. Quite a few was full of younger students preparing for the day that they would choose a Path to train in at the College. I smiled, I once sat in one of those rooms many years ago, eager to persevere so I can also choose my own Path at the College. A lot have happened in the years since, but I still wish to choose a Path, but it carries far greater meaning this time around. My hand curled up to embrace the amulet around my neck. A wild symphony of emotions swirled around in me. I will find a way to free my friend from that icy prison no matter how long it takes.
    A sigh escaped me as I realised I had brooded all the way to the door of the Blades Academy. For now, I wanted to test my skills with the blade with one of the trainees, that at least is encouraged even before one chose your Path at the College.
    I flipped open my cloak and gripped the owl pommel of my sword and opened the door. The clash of steel echoed loud in the air. A very familiar sound indeed. This would take my mind of my troubles.
    My lungs were burning as sweat ran down my forehead. The sword was heavy in my hands, but a broad grin adorned my face, I revelled in the fight. I swept my sword up ready for another flurry of blows. I had beaten several of the year one Blades Path initiates, but I still felt I need more.
    “Excuse me, sir. Ah, Gareth. I need to speak with you.” A call came from behind.
    I just ignored it. I needed to better my swordsmanship. There was so much to learn.
    “Ah, sir! I must protest. It is an urgent matter, the Grand Master will see you.”
    I stopped mid swing down on the panicking initiate’s armoured shoulder. I grunted at him,
    “Good fight. But, I need to go.”
    As if he was holding his breath in for a long time, the Blades Path initiate nodded and started panting out of breath.
    With it, I turned towards the man calling out to me. I looked at the other initiates and pointed my sword at them, eliciting several worried looks from them.
    I turned my head to the man in the grey robe.
    “Take me to her.”
    “Follow me.” He said hastily, with quite a bit of uncertainty in his features. He was probably wondering why on earth the Grand Master would see me so quickly.
    It took a while to move through the massive College, but upon reaching the Northern most wing of the College, the man stopped and ushered me into the small hallway that led to my mother’s study.
    Small lights danced across the wall, it was pretty, could even be described as mesmerizing. But, I wanted to talk to her about what happened to my friend. Her plight was my mission and I would ask my mother’s help in finding a way to free her.
    I approached the couch closer to the door and sat, but quickly shouts from inside the room caught my intension. Even the door did little to muffle the words.
    “I can’t tell you what I found, I have to show you......I can’t. I have been trying to tell you. If the wrong person overheard... It is too dangerous!... Why won’t you listen to me...”
    The door swung open and a man I knew well from my years of studying, Tarkin Ryhom. His characteristic pointy beard was still a full flung feature on his angular face. The pure anxiousness all over his features however, was not. He looked like he saw a terrifying thing and nobody believed him.
    He walked past me with hardly even a nod while muttering,
    “They need to believe me. I have to...”
    “Tarkin! Don’t go, why can’t you just tell me what you saw?” A woman with great poise called out after the man. Her flowing robes were glorious, it shimmered in the light sparkling across the midnight blue material like stars. My mother, the Grand Master.
    “For the last time, I can’t, it is too dangerous. I have to show you.”
    With that, he left the hall, passing by a group of adventurers walking by.
    The Grand Master sighed deeply before straightening her posture. Clearly she realised there was someone else there. She turned to me and her features softened quite considerably.
    “I am sorry you had to see that.” She moved gracefully forward and swept me up in a hug. “I missed you.”
    “Um, you are squeezing too tight. Ugh. I missed you too mom, dad says hi.”
    She let me go and smiled broadly.
    “Good, now come in.” She said as she walked back into her study, “We have lots to talk about. Tell me what you have been up to the last few years. I want to know everything.”
    When I did not follow, she stopped and worry filled her eyes.
    “What is wrong, Gareth? You look pale.”
    I took a shuddering breath.
    “Mom, something terrible has happened. Lezaria is in great trouble. I need your help.”

Edit: I just went over it once to remove the most obvious mistakes.
    Last edited by XCali; 04-05-2019 at 07:10 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Very intriguing! I definitely enjoyed reading that little short story, it's a very well written narrative. There are typos throughout though, and some context issues in some of the paragraphs, but overall very minor things.

You did a wonderful job describing the college, I got a mysterious feel, as should be in the realm of learning. I also like how you rolled out the main characters, and Tarkin Ryhom seems to provide a wonderful hook that is easily identified by players.

No qualms here, fantastic work!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast