Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Large Dungeon Near College Town

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Very intriguing! I definitely enjoyed reading that little short story, it's a very well written narrative. There are typos throughout though, and some context issues in some of the paragraphs, but overall very minor things.

You did a wonderful job describing the college, I got a mysterious feel, as should be in the realm of learning. I also like how you rolled out the main characters, and Tarkin Ryhom seems to provide a wonderful hook that is easily identified by players.

No qualms here, fantastic work!
    Ah thank you! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Sorry about the typos, what often happens when I write a story is I'm more focused on the roll of the story and sometimes miss the mistakes. I did quickly make an editing run of it just now. Hopefully it reads a bit better.

I am also you liked how I set up the College so far and the characters, I was trying to be specific without convoluting things too much. Like for example that the College is for many different types of adventurers who wishes to hone their art instead of just the arcane ones.

I am a bit uncertain what you meant with context issues. My best guess is the layout of the College? Or what are you revering to?

Thanks again.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I think I was referring to a couple of instances where things were described in past tense, where it should have been present tense, at least I believe so, I'm at work so I don't have time right at the moment to re-read it.

I wanted to add a little extra to the map pack with regarding to selling the main Adventure hook.

The writing can and probably will be changed, and can be left out completely as well for DMs to write their own warning letter on it.
    Let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ice door_V1_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	675.3 KB 
ID:	114740

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Good flavor! That would look really good printed out on some 'ol fashion coffee stained and crinkled paper. Looks like you're adding multiple layers to your hook, that is always good, because eventually the players are going to have to peel those layers back to get to the core, which is a lot of fun!

Ah, thanks. I was hoping something like this would be nice to add to the map pack.

What I am struggling with now, is how much of the maps I need to populate with stuff, or do I just keep the chambers empty and up to DMs to populate. (I will have a version with numbers or labels for each area, so my question more in line with items, rubble or whatever throughout the chambers/caverns.)

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

I mean, most caverns don't have much in the ways of features outside of normal cave stuff, unless something resides there. The issue here is that this cave *just* opened up, so it'd be very difficult to justify something living there that needs access to the outside world to prosper. Now if the creature is something that doesn't need sustenance, say an incorporeal creature, such as a shadow or ghost, it makes a lot more sense that it could just *be* there. This is even more true if there is only one way in, one way out, but if there is access to a network of tunnels, you could justify something that has a natural habitat of subterranean, too.

Another question, I saw you post a small map for the frozen area that looked like some form of sentient construction, what was that built for? What was its purpose when it was originally built? This may help to flesh out the dungeon a bit further, or at least give you an idea of what could possibly be within, item wise I mean, because people don't go into a construction project with no purpose behind it, that's for sure.

Like I mentioned before, pick your monsters first, even if it's just room by room, and often times what items that reside there come along with them. Being a cave, if you leave a lot of chambers empty, that is perfectly alright, most of the time they would be mostly empty anyways. I will often times throw little hidden treasures and quirky features into those rooms, just so that they aren't completely empty, and in turn, boring. Doing this will allow a lot of room for DM tweeking, while still doing a bit of room population yourself.

Hope this helps, cheers!

IR

I mean, most caverns don't have much in the ways of features outside of normal cave stuff, unless something resides there. The issue here is that this cave *just* opened up, so it'd be very difficult to justify something living there that needs access to the outside world to prosper. Now if the creature is something that doesn't need sustenance, say an incorporeal creature, such as a shadow or ghost, it makes a lot more sense that it could just *be* there. This is even more true if there is only one way in, one way out, but if there is access to a network of tunnels, you could justify something that has a natural habitat of subterranean, too.

Another question, I saw you post a small map for the frozen area that looked like some form of sentient construction, what was that built for? What was its purpose when it was originally built? This may help to flesh out the dungeon a bit further, or at least give you an idea of what could possibly be within, item wise I mean, because people don't go into a construction project with no purpose behind it, that's for sure.

Like I mentioned before, pick your monsters first, even if it's just room by room, and often times what items that reside there come along with them. Being a cave, if you leave a lot of chambers empty, that is perfectly alright, most of the time they would be mostly empty anyways. I will often times throw little hidden treasures and quirky features into those rooms, just so that they aren't completely empty, and in turn, boring. Doing this will allow a lot of room for DM tweeking, while still doing a bit of room population yourself.

Hope this helps, cheers!

IR
    Thanks. It really does help.

I think my biggest reluctance to choosing monsters would be that I have DMing experience. I was just a player for a short while and the world was not leveled to us. We could find the worst kind of beasties in the underground or rather tame. So, even that experience does not help me one bit in thinking about this map set.

So, that probably leaves me in the position of writing what I can about the region and making this mostly empty canvas as interesting as possible, and then leaving the actual creature populating to people that know how faaaaaaaar better than I do. I hope that makes sense.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

It makes total sense, and it's understandable to be reluctant in this situation. You can always set a certain level range, and work off of that. Thomden did some wonderful bookmarks that operate in this way, seen here. Those bookmarks are excellent because they show how you can keep it short and sweet, but still convey the overall idea that you're trying to get across.

You can also throw level-based out the window and work purely off roleplaying. Like they say, there are many different kinds of monsters in the world, and a lot of them are not your level. "We have to fight until the end, until we're all dead if that's what it takes!" said no player ever, if the chance of running away is readily feasible. Maybe there is a baddy way beyond the level of the PC's in this dungeon, and is that unreasonable? Not at all, it will give the players something to work towards if anything else, and there is no harm or foul from the PCs waiting until they're a higher level and better equipped to handle something of that challenge rating.

It makes total sense, and it's understandable to be reluctant in this situation. You can always set a certain level range, and work off of that. Thomden did some wonderful bookmarks that operate in this way, seen here. Those bookmarks are excellent because they show how you can keep it short and sweet, but still convey the overall idea that you're trying to get across.

You can also throw level-based out the window and work purely off roleplaying. Like they say, there are many different kinds of monsters in the world, and a lot of them are not your level. "We have to fight until the end, until we're all dead if that's what it takes!" said no player ever, if the chance of running away is readily feasible. Maybe there is a baddy way beyond the level of the PC's in this dungeon, and is that unreasonable? Not at all, it will give the players something to work towards if anything else, and there is no harm or foul from the PCs waiting until they're a higher level and better equipped to handle something of that challenge rating.
    Definitely food for thought. Thank you.

I think that second point you made is more attractive. The levels and monster difficulty is not something I can yet lean on to use on my maps. So, story is going to be the back for the time being.

That said, I started a map today for more that one reason, but now it has got me thinking of what is on the other side of this mountain with the cave. Maybe a hidden stronghold was in the mountains forgotten with time. What happened to it that it went silent in the first place. Is it whatever is causing the frost to take over the caves? The party will have to find out. Though, they might trigger an ancient beacon that sets in motion an army to to stir in the west destroying everything on its way to the stronghold, having them have to defend the peace of their town by taking a stand in the old ruins in the mountains.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Mountain_Stronghold_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	114800

(Hehe, the map pack is expanding. )

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Definitely food for thought. Thank you.

I think that second point you made is more attractive. The levels and monster difficulty is not something I can yet lean on to use on my maps. So, story is going to be the back for the time being.

That said, I started a map today for more that one reason, but now it has got me thinking of what is on the other side of this mountain with the cave. Maybe a hidden stronghold was in the mountains forgotten with time. What happened to it that it went silent in the first place. Is it whatever is causing the frost to take over the caves? The party will have to find out. Though, they might trigger an ancient beacon that sets in motion an army to to stir in the west destroying everything on its way to the stronghold, having them have to defend the peace of their town by taking a stand in the old ruins in the mountains.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Mountain_Stronghold_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	114800

(Hehe, the map pack is expanding. )
    That sounds fun! Nothing like a mindless army marching towards a goal unwaveringly, just be careful with that type of power, players don't start facing troop-based mobs until higher levels, usually 8-10+.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast