Thread: Large Dungeon Near College Town

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I suppose I've just never seen it used, myself. I'm fairly new to the wide world of cartography styles as a whole, and I have never used digital means to make a map, either. I can definitely tell now that you've said about it, and now that the colors are more starkly contrasted, I can really tell. Though the one you magnified looks more like a mound, than a pathway.

Regarding the rock, it makes me think of a pathway into further reaches of the cave, based on your shading.
    Yeah, cartography styles vary sooooo much across the board.

I do see what you mean, so I tried to make it more like a pathway in this one. It is hard without sacrificing the cave entrance. Let me know if you think it is better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cave_Less of a mound.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	114501

I was also thinking that the cave might lead to a deeper region, maybe even to the forgotten system that ends up under the College.

Another thing, I was pondering about, I want to try and to make the left bottom exit go to a place with a frost like curse there. Do, you think it would work, or do I need to rethink that idea?

Thanks again for taking the time to drop by here.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I enjoy hashing back and forth about dungeon building, one of my favorite topics, so it's my pleasure!

I can definitely make out a pathway a bit better now, but overall I'm still not sold on the style. I think my main issue is that there isn't a sold differentiation between solid rock and cavern, just a bold black line, but that could be my personal preferences coming into play.

Leading to a deeper section would be my natural inclination. It could be fun to have it blocked in some fashion maybe, like some form of magic barrier, maybe tie that to the frost curse cavern in some way, forcing the players to embark down that direction to proceed deeper into the complex.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I enjoy hashing back and forth about dungeon building, one of my favorite topics, so it's my pleasure!

I can definitely make out a pathway a bit better now, but overall I'm still not sold on the style. I think my main issue is that there isn't a sold differentiation between solid rock and cavern, just a bold black line, but that could be my personal preferences coming into play.

Leading to a deeper section would be my natural inclination. It could be fun to have it blocked in some fashion maybe, like some form of magic barrier, maybe tie that to the frost curse cavern in some way, forcing the players to embark down that direction to proceed deeper into the complex.
    I am a bit confused, what is it that you don't like about the style? Even Schley's maps often use a solid line to differentiate between floor and the rock that is around the playable areas. I would really like to hear why it doesn't work for you.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19