Question Large Dungeon Near College Town

Hi!

Pen version 1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overview_MountainDungeon_Pen_v1.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	335.2 KB 
ID:	114352

I did think about just finishing this as best I could on my own before posting it to several RPG stores, but then I could not help myself wondering about certain things about this project. I want this to be a really useful supplement to people playing an RPG.

So, my questions, Number 1, is it something that would intrigue DMs/GMs to use in their games. Number 2 In a version, what kind of things would be most appreciated in the caverns, objects wise, or encounter wise even? Number 3, How would you like me to present the Labeling of the map's DM/GM version and/or player version, just numbers, with a legend, Names?

I would really appreciate feedback on those points. Truly.

Two part set
    ### Latest WIP ###
    (These two versions are smaller by more than half than the main files.)

The large dungeon and part of the town.

Name:	Large_Mountain Dungeon_Town_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	114353

The College grounds

Name:	College_of_StormHeart_Small_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	114354

Let me know what you think,
    Omri
    Last edited by XCali; 03-20-2019 at 03:17 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hi everyone,

Today, I wanted to start to add some things to the map. A tent for weary dungeoneers, which the discover is abandoned, but it is a safe area after all the deadly encounters they faced so far.
    Also, added a tree across a deep body of water and some ruins outside the underground area. A few extra titbits as well.

My questions of the previous post remains.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Large_dungeon_TentRuins_v1_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	114377
    Last edited by XCali; 03-21-2019 at 03:26 PM.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Oh I just love that you added on to that college you made! Cave maps have always been one of my favorites, being some of my earliest map creations for DnD, so you've got my heart here.

First, being outside a bustling college, are the administrators (even students) aware of this cave? If so, are they aware of the secret looking door to the back section? This could lead the cave's outline in different directions depending on how you answer it, because if they do know about it, are they secretly operating out of it, as well? Do they hide a secret there? Also, if they do operate out of it, this answers my 3rd question, or atleast tweeks it.

Second, cave maps are always fun for combat encounters, being in such close quarters, and adding in obstacles to be used by both PC's and monsters to add different aspects of tactics, such as bars of unpassable stalagmites/tites, or a body of water, can really help make them interesting. Also, having enemies with different strengths, such as an enemy on a high rise at the other side of the room with a bow lobbing arrows at the PCs at every step, can really spice up an encounter as well.

Third, what inhabits this cave? This question can be answered usually in either a static, or dynamic way. By static I mean such as a bugbear colony, they operate out of this cave, and that doesn't really change; or dynamic, such as more than one type of creature may be involved. But you always at least want a base reason for them being there in the first place.

I normally just stick with room numbers, roman numerals having always been my favorite touch.

I hope this helps!

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 03-21-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Oh I just love that you added on to that college you made! Cave maps have always been one of my favorites, being some of my earliest map creations for DnD, so you've got my heart here.

First, being outside a bustling college, are the administrators (even students) aware of this cave? If so, are they aware of the secret looking door to the back section? This could lead the cave's outline in different directions depending on how you answer it, because if they do know about it, are they secretly operating out of it, as well? Do they hide a secret there? Also, if they do operate out of it, this answers my 3rd question, or atleast tweeks it.

Second, cave maps are always fun for combat encounters, being in such close quarters, and adding in obstacles to be used by both PC's and monsters to add different aspects of tactics, such as bars of unpassable stalagmites/tites, or a body of water, can really help make them interesting. Also, having enemies with different strengths, such as an enemy on a high rise at the other side of the room with a bow lobbing arrows at the PCs at every step, can really spice up an encounter as well.

Third, what inhabits this cave? This question can be answered usually in either a static, or dynamic way. By static I mean such as a bugbear colony, they operate out of this cave, and that doesn't really change; or dynamic, such as more than one type of creature may be involved. But you always at least want a base reason for them being there in the first place.

I normally just stick with room numbers, roman numerals having always been my favorite touch.

I hope this helps!

IR
    It definitely helps! Thank you!

1. I can write it either way really. It depends on what would make the most compelling plotline for an adventure, what do you think?
    For the time being, the story in my mind starts with the dungeon's bottom entrance has only very recently opened up letting some beasties into the forest. The College is busy giving a class in the forest when the first attack happens. Parallel to that, one of teachers at the College had started acting strange a while back, leaving others suspicious what his/her research was what they were muttering about often. (Thus the secret hall and room at the top of the map.)
    Now, the College can then send in a team to discover what is going on. There are quite a few secrets to this seemingly peaceful part of the land.
    I would like your thoughts on what would make the best hook for an adventure. (Super thanks in advance to any leaving their thoughts.)

2. This is actually the area which I am a bit more in the dark about, I have only played DnD a precious few times and none of those ventured into a cave yet. So, my experience is a bit limited, I can only add what others think would be best I add at the moment. (The stalagmites/tites and water I can experiment already. But the rest is still me learning what makes a cave/dungeon compelling.

3. Same as above, and the fact that I have never DM'd leaves a bit on the wondering side. Though the room numbers or labels is probably my only option in that regard at the moment. I do, however, plan on making several versions for the set. Day, Night, Dusk. With and without numbers ect. All to give DM/ GM's the best shot at making a cool adventure in this area.

Again thank so much for taking the time, I really do appreciate it.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    It definitely helps! Thank you!

1. I can write it either way really. It depends on what would make the most compelling plotline for an adventure, what do you think?
    For the time being, the story in my mind starts with the dungeon's bottom entrance has only very recently opened up letting some beasties into the forest. The College is busy giving a class in the forest when the first attack happens. Parallel to that, one of teachers at the College had started acting strange a while back, leaving others suspicious what his/her research was what they were muttering about often. (Thus the secret hall and room at the top of the map.)
    Now, the College can then send in a team to discover what is going on. There are quite a few secrets to this seemingly peaceful part of the land.
    I would like your thoughts on what would make the best hook for an adventure. (Super thanks in advance to any leaving their thoughts.)

2. This is actually the area which I am a bit more in the dark about, I have only played DnD a precious few times and none of those ventured into a cave yet. So, my experience is a bit limited, I can only add what others think would be best I add at the moment. (The stalagmites/tites and water I can experiment already. But the rest is still me learning what makes a cave/dungeon compelling.

3. Same as above, and the fact that I have never DM'd leaves a bit on the wondering side. Though the room numbers or labels is probably my only option in that regard at the moment. I do, however, plan on making several versions for the set. Day, Night, Dusk. With and without numbers ect. All to give DM/ GM's the best shot at making a cool adventure in this area.

Again thank so much for taking the time, I really do appreciate it.
    Glad I could be of assistance!

You have many options for getting the attention of the PCs, so I wouldn't necessarily say there is a "best" way to do this. On a basic level, you have a hook just in the sheer fact that a mysterious new cave has opened up recently. This draws the attention of dungeon delvers and archaeologists alike, especially being just outside of a college, which normally serves secondarily as a hub for news. You also have a hook in that the professor has been acting strange, which could easily tie into the mysterious new cave. If you plan on using an attack to get the attention of the PCs, it could be spun into the former two as the initial hook, which could work well to bring a multifaceted angle to it, allowing the GM/DM a couple options for intrigue. The attack could even be how the GM/DM introduces the PCs to your setting. "As the grand crown of the college crests the hill, you can faintly hear cries of distress in the distance".

As far as how to decorate it, my best advice would be to keep it to simple outline. Who/what resides there? This answers most of the questions about what physical means are held there, and combined with how you decide to spin the professor acting strange, there could be many options. Is the professor actually a cult leader who has been secretly operating in the cave, and a portion of the faculty/students are a part of that cult? This is just an example, but shows how the college could be involved in some way. It doesn't even have to be evil, say the professor has stumbled upon an ominous secret inside the cave, and knowing this dreadful knowledge has him on edge, givien the implications. This could give the PCs some information gathering role playing options. Maybe his mind was hijacked by an artifact he found in the cave, say an ancient tiara, that he has not adorned himself with, until now. This could lead the PCs to eventually find a means to remove the tiara, which normally is an unremovable cursed artifact. The options are truly unlimited, just remember, always simple, never complicated.

Generally, caves are pretty abstract, lending to the idea that there is no one set path, especially when a chamber could have multiple entries/exits. You may not even want to include room numbers. What may work better, are events/notable areas listed by A.) B.) etc.

Again, I hope this helps. I feel like my 18 years of learning to design dungeons could convey nicely into a tutorial, I may just have to sit down and write one..

Cheers!

IR

PS: Make sure you have a solid motivation for the PCs to be doing what they're doing.
    Last edited by Adfor; 03-22-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Glad I could be of assistance!

You have many options for getting the attention of the PCs, so I wouldn't necessarily say there is a "best" way to do this. On a basic level, you have a hook just in the sheer fact that a mysterious new cave has opened up recently. This draws the attention of dungeon delvers and archaeologists alike, especially being just outside of a college, which normally serves secondarily as a hub for news. You also have a hook in that the professor has been acting strange, which could easily tie into the mysterious new cave. If you plan on using an attack to get the attention of the PCs, it could be spun into the former two as the initial hook, which could work well to bring a multifaceted angle to it, allowing the GM/DM a couple options for intrigue. The attack could even be how the GM/DM introduces the PCs to your setting. "As the grand crown of the college crests the hill, you can faintly hear cries of distress in the distance".

As far as how to decorate it, my best advice would be to keep it to simple outline. Who/what resides there? This answers most of the questions about what physical means are held there, and combined with how you decide to spin the professor acting strange, there could be many options. Is the professor actually a cult leader who has been secretly operating in the cave, and a portion of the faculty/students are a part of that cult? This is just an example, but shows how the college could be involved in some way. It doesn't even have to be evil, say the professor has stumbled upon an ominous secret inside the cave, and knowing this dreadful knowledge has him on edge, givien the implications. This could give the PCs some information gathering role playing options. Maybe his mind was hijacked by an artifact he found in the cave, say an ancient tiara, that he has not adorned himself with, until now. This could lead the PCs to eventually find a means to remove the tiara, which normally is an unremovable cursed artifact. The options are truly unlimited, just remember, always simple, never complicated.

Generally, caves are pretty abstract, lending to the idea that there is no one set path, especially when a chamber could have multiple entries/exits. You may not even want to include room numbers. What may work better, are events/notable areas listed by A.) B.) etc.

Again, I hope this helps. I feel like my 18 years of learning to design dungeons could convey nicely into a tutorial, I may just have to sit down and write one..

Cheers!

IR

PS: Make sure you have a solid motivation for the PCs to be doing what they're doing.
    That is incredibly useful. It gives a good idea to how I can go about writing adventure hooks that can have multiple options in approach. Thanks, really.

My biggest dilemma basically is, I'm not the one who is going to DM/GM this adventure, I'm creating this set of maps for many other DMs/GMs to pick up and run the adventure. Again, I have never DM'd a game. So, that is why I want to gather as much information about how to approach this map set as possible. Hope it makes sense.

Again thank you for the tips!
    Last edited by XCali; 03-22-2019 at 01:17 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hello!

Today, I got to experimenting with the smaller details of the map. I added a pool with strange green fog boiling out of it. Also, I furnished the secret study up top. And added a bigger underground lake to the left bottom.

Let me know your thoughts.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Large_dungeon_StrangePool_v1_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	114413

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    That is incredibly useful. It gives a good idea to how I can go about writing adventure hooks that can have multiple options in approach. Thanks, really.

My biggest dilemma basically is, I'm not the one who is going to DM/GM this adventure, I'm creating this set of maps for someone else to pick up and run the adventure. Again, I have never DM'd a game. So, that is why I want to gather as much information about how to approach this map set as possible. Hope it makes sense.

Again thank you for the tips!
    My pleasure!

If you're collaborating with others, I'd suggest sitting down with the DM, and just hash out some of the things that they want to do/pursue in their campaign, that could maybe tie into this adventure. You could even include the players in that conversation, since they are the ones who more or less make up the bulk of the story, being the ones in the spotlight. Having a clear idea of wants and needs for both the DM and players would be extremely helpful in creating your outline, even if it's just what type of monsters the DM would like to run.

Personally I think it would be really cool to have the cave lead to a since segregated basement of the college, that even the administration has no idea about. Stirring up dust that hasn't been disturbed in ages is always a mesmerizing way to roll out a dungeon. "As the rough hued stone door slowly shifts downward upon your touch, a great gust of air sucks inward as the slab begins to lower. The stale air russells a thick layer of dust that is apparent upon the floor, indicating clearly that this chamber hasn't been disturbed in a very long time."

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with on your dungeon-making endeavors.

IR

PS: The newest update looks great, keep it up!
    Last edited by Adfor; 03-22-2019 at 02:28 PM.

My pleasure!

If you're collaborating with others, I'd suggest sitting down with the DM, and just hash out some of the things that they want to do/pursue in their campaign, that could maybe tie into this adventure. You could even include the players in that conversation, since they are the ones who more or less make up the bulk of the story, being the ones in the spotlight. Having a clear idea of wants and needs for both the DM and players would be extremely helpful in creating your outline, even if it's just what type of monsters the DM would like to run.

Personally I think it would be really cool to have the cave lead to a since segregated basement of the college, that even the administration has no idea about. Stirring up dust that hasn't been disturbed in ages is always a mesmerizing way to roll out a dungeon. "As the rough hued stone door slowly shifts downward upon your touch, a great gust of air sucks inward as the slab begins to lower. The stale air russells a thick layer of dust that is apparent upon the floor, indicating clearly that this chamber hasn't been disturbed in a very long time."

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with on your dungeon-making endeavors.

IR

PS: The newest update looks great, keep it up!
    As I know only one DM personally, the collaborating thing is still just a pipe dream. No, I'm creating this for other DMs/GMs to use out in the world.

The cave ending up below the college is a great idea! Thanks! I will do that as another map that shows what is below ground on the College map itself.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Here is my progress with adding more elevation in the dungeon. Also, added several books, a large monster skull to one of the chambers and whatnot.
    Let me know what you think?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	College_D_MonsterSkull_v1_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	114444

Name:	College_Dungeon_Elevation_v1_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	114445

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast