Thread: First World Map for Me

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help First World Map for Me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map update 2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	559.1 KB 
ID:	114437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map raised rainforest.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	114436

This is my first real attempt to draw a world map. (As you can see I don't even really have a nice set up for taking a picture of it ) I started out with the random dice generation technique to give me a general since of where things would be. This lead to a natural north and south as I had tundra land masses generate at the top. This also lead to the mountain placements, islands, and general continent shape. I have abandoned all of the other rolls. I have done some research as to what would help it feel more real and plausible, but am hitting a wall.
    This map is being made with young D&D players in mind. So each square is 25 miles which one should be able to cross on foot in 9 hours give or take. I feel like its easier for young ones (8-15) to wrap their heads around these numbers. So north to south would only take 2 weeks (give or take) by foot. I feel like this lends itself to some really nice altercations territory wise. I think the general idea is a kingdom typically only rules what it can travel to in 2 weeks. Well thats everywhere here especially bringing mounts into the equation.

So here are some of my personal internal debates:
    1. Should there be more forest? or stay with what I have?
    2. A capital to the north and one to the south- these two kingdoms in constant territorial disputes?
    3. The entire area to the south east... what kind of geological territory should it be?
    4. Now that I have chosen this tree style, how in the world do I do more piny type trees for the mountains to the north? (as they are a colder mountain range)
    5. WORLD NAME?

So ANY feedback is welcomed! I'm up to hearing anything this map may inspire!
    Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190323_064805.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	446.7 KB 
ID:	114425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map updated.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	486.1 KB 
ID:	114432  
    Last edited by Chelsenaw; 03-23-2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: updated map 2