Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April 2019 Challenge: Tavenyar Peninsula: Home of the Bloody Freeboots

Default April 2019 Challenge: Tavenyar Peninsula: Home of the Bloody Freeboots

Tavenyar Peninsula is often referred to as the "cradle of civilization", having nurtured some of the oldest standing civilizations in the world of Mu; such as the elven capital of Vin Taerynth, and the bailiwicks of Patangli.

Just in the last few years, a small band of picaroons under a particularly elusive corsair captain named Ironflag Cuttler, have established an encampment inside the Bay of Treachery, a secluded anchorage just off the south eastern coast of the Tavenyar Peninsula. Dubbed Cuttler's Cove; the outpost's location offers secrecy, protection, and plunder, and has flourished under Pirate King Cuttler's rule. Calling themselves the "Freeboots"; the people are gruff at best, murderous at worst, and you'll often find their ilk denigrated to "Bloody Freeboots" by seafarers and residents of local villages.

Local Praxian navies have taken note to increases in pillaging in the area, and have sent scouts to identify the threat, but so far, the rocky waters of the Bay of Treachery, and buccaneer guile have made the task all but impossible to complete.

----

A short excerpt into what I'm brewing (yep, grog), should have a rough sketch coming soon, this shall be a butt-load of, you guessed it! GROG!

Cheers!

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-18-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

There are few words as grand as 'picaroon'. For that alone you might get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    There are few words as grand as 'picaroon'. For that alone you might get my vote.
    Agreed! A thesaurus is a wonderful tool indeed.

Greetings one, and all!

Finally got to sit down and get a lot done yesterday, I've been very motivated with this one, because this is my personal canon.

If you're thinking it doesn't look very outwardly "pirate themed", don't fret! I have plans for the other side that will more than make up for that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tavenyar Peninsula, Home of the Bloody Freeboots, by Ian Ringler.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	114894

I'm pretty stoked with the result so far, I used my new sepia .005 liner pen for the continent and its contents, and a black .005 liner pen for the titling and clouds, I'd love to know your thoughts on it!

Cheers!

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-18-2019 at 02:57 PM.

I jumped off a ledge today! (not literary) I was really reluctant to try this different style, which I have to specially thank J.Edwards for most of the inspiration from his newest Bish continent. I have been thinking recently that my current style is rather bland, and seeing so many cool things that can be done to alleviate that around here, I couldn't help but try something new with this project!

I'd definitely love to hear any thoughts or critiques that anyone has, I hope you like it so far.

Name:	Tavenyar Peninsula, Home of the Bloody Freeboots1, by Ian Ringler.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	114921

Cheers!

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Title has been changed. Looking really good so far. The hills and mountains have a really unique looking design. Digging those swirly clouds as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you, Arsheesh! That means a lot to me.

I got the cloud idea from another artist on here, can't remember who, but I liked the style, so I thought I'd give it a try. It does exceptionally well as a border, from what I've found, and saves me a ton of time from coloring oceans, which can be tedious.

The mountains and hills are of my own creation. I've been drawing them like that for as long as I can remember, right back to my very first maps. Since being on here, I started trying some new mountain styles, but none of them tickled my fancy like my 'ol tried and true, so for this project I decided to revive them.

Name:	Tavenyar Peninsula, Home of the Bloody Freeboots2, by Ian Ringler.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	114937

Pretty small update, but it's progress, definitely getting more confident in drawing this, I can't wait for everyone to see the other page I have planned!

Cheers!

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-19-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Those mountains are great Adfor. Very creative

Cheers,
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Those mountains are great Adfor. Very creative

Cheers,
    Karl
    Thanks, Karl! I'm glad they are appealing to the eye, I've never had any real feedback on them till now.

Name:	Tavenyar Peninsula, Home of the Bloody Freeboots3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	987.6 KB 
ID:	114982

Got Cuttler's Ironflag in place (the compass), and more color filling, slow but sure progress. I hope to be on the other page this weekend.

Cheers!

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-21-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Happy Easter all!

Name:	Tavenyar Peninsula, Home of the Bloody Freeboots, by Ian Ringler4.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	115021

Fairly sure the peninsula is finished, it turned out better than I expected, hooray for experimenting!

Cheers!

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-23-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast