Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silas's Tower Commission

Map Silas's Tower Commission

This is the second of four maps I completed for Griffon Lore Games for their Curse of the Lost Memories module. I hadn't done a battlemap in this realistic style before so it was a fun challenge in which I learned some new techniques. This was made using GIMP.

EDIT: I've added some smaller full res pics of various areas of the tower.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silas's Tower Small.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	114664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preview 1.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	114744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preview 2.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	114745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preview 3.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	114746  
    Last edited by arsheesh; 04-09-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Looks very nice and professional, which I realize it is. The detail is impressive, even the bedding seems to have a different pattern/scatter of sheets. Personally, I think the open books are atlases. I also like the simple but effective layout of the whole page/map.

Is it just me, or are we seeing the birth of a new style for colored dungeon maps those last months ? Something more illustrative, playing with lights and colors ? Anyway, good job on this one, Arsheesh ! I especially love the statue, always so tricky in a top-down view

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Amazing! How did you do it? I would love to hear how you went about doing this.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I really like the layout for this. Works really well with your already exceptional maps

Cheers,
    Karl

That is a gorgeous piece of work Arsheesh
    You will definitely get more requests for that style, I'm sure.
    That bed

Hot damn, that's a pretty style! I wish I could see the details a bit better, but the coloring alone is gorgeous. Nice to see you posting maps again!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Looks very nice and professional, which I realize it is. The detail is impressive, even the bedding seems to have a different pattern/scatter of sheets. Personally, I think the open books are atlases. I also like the simple but effective layout of the whole page/map.
    Thank you kindly Deeds, I appreciate the feedback. Brilliant! I'm definitely going to include open atlas's in followup works. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Is it just me, or are we seeing the birth of a new style for colored dungeon maps those last months ? Something more illustrative, playing with lights and colors ? Anyway, good job on this one, Arsheesh ! I especially love the statue, always so tricky in a top-down view
    That may be. I've been away for a spell so I don't really know what's been going on, but since I've been back I have seen more tactical maps then I remember seeing before. Thanks, yeah the statue was tricky, and this is one area I feel I definitely need a bit more practice in, but I think it turned out alright.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Amazing! How did you do it? I would love to hear how you went about doing this.
    Thank you XCali. Honestly the methods I used in creating this piece aren't too different from those used but most other artists here working in a similar style. Once you've got your layout completed you begin to lay down the base textures (in some places this means layering several different textures down and playing with opacity, scatter and such). Then you add the furnishings, most of which you can find on free texture sites, although some, such as items like the statue, demon, stove, chairs, lamps etc. will need to be hand drawn. Add in light sources, blocking out the areas of cast shadow, and as a finishing touch, add rim light to various areas. There were a few more things I did here and there but what I've just described is a pretty good overview of the process. Perhaps sometime in the future I'll create a more detailed walk-through.

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    I really like the layout for this. Works really well with your already exceptional maps

Cheers,
    Karl
    Thank you tainotim.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    That is a gorgeous piece of work Arsheesh
    You will definitely get more requests for that style, I'm sure.
    That bed
    Thanks John, I'm glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Hot damn, that's a pretty style! I wish I could see the details a bit better, but the coloring alone is gorgeous. Nice to see you posting maps again!
    Thanks Kellerica! Yeah I kept the size and resolution small because Griffon Lore Games published this in their map-pack for the module and I don't want harm their business by giving away the full res version. However I just added some full size pics of a few areas of the map.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

This is awesome Tad! The colouring and shading are absolutely top notch.

I was just wondering: how is an inhabitant going from floor to floor? It looks like you'd bump into a wall if you took the stairs - that, or I'm reading the map wrong (which is entirely possible!!).

But don't worry about that little nitpick, the map is wonderful all over, and the level of detail is just stunning!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Top notch work on those !
    The details are stunning. I'm pretty sure you'll have other requests, indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast