Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beyond the Reef - Caenwyr's Quickie #1

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Excellent work!

There is so much substance here! Your mountains are great, your shaded relief is coming along nicely.

I will point out something, on first glance a thing popped out that looked quite strange, and it stays that way even on further inspection. That piece of land left-middle. Your use of shading and highlights had the strange effect where LAND closer to and with the peninsula seems to lift into the air. I'm not quite sure why. But, it is clear.
    My suggestion to it would be to add some darker shadows to the Peninsula there and a bit more core(darker) shadows next to the mountains there. Another thing is, at the top of where you have your big depression and it starts lifting into the light there, add a small bit of very localised highlights to give a crest feeling to that hill maybe. I think that would drop the peninsula a bit more too.

I really hope you know what I am referring to. If not, be sure to ask.
    Anyway, great work so far!!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    That piece of land left-middle. Your use of shading and highlights had the strange effect where LAND closer to and with the peninsula seems to lift into the air. I'm not quite sure why. But, it is clear.
    Hey XCali, thanks for the the tip! You're absolutely right, it does look weird. I've been poring over it for so long that I didn't notice it myself, but now I can't unsee it

I will try and fix that weird issue. Thanks again for pointing it out, and thanks for the tips too!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

As always it looks great, but there's something a bit weird with the peninsula pointing northward on the south western part of the island, it looks like it's out of the plan of your drawing, pointing upward. It might only be my own impression but it felt weird when I looked at it.

Alright, how about this? I tried to tone down the shading a bit (it did look like a bowl descending beneath actual sea level, which was not what I went for!). The idea for that weird region was for it to look a bit like the Wave in Arizona, but much larger and rougher. I hope I better managed to capture that in this second iteration for the place.

Also, I added a compass! Yee-haw!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beyond-the-reef (08).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	116021
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

It's not as pronounced as it was before but it still looks like a dip there I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    It's not as pronounced as it was before but it still looks like a dip there I'm afraid.
    Well it's supposed to look like a dip in the landscape, so that's okay. I just want to prevent it from looking like that peninsula to the west jumps out of the screen or anything. If that's no longer the case, I'm happy

But I'll let you guys decide on that!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Okay, I think I'm gonna call it a day. I just added a scale, and I'll leave anything else to the viewers' imagination. After all this is a map of an unexplored island, so whoever sets foot on it first gets to decide where the cities and roads go!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beyond-the-reef (09).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	116250
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12