Thread: March / April '19 Lite Challenge: The Amulet of Dilach Mane

Default March / April '19 Lite Challenge: The Amulet of Dilach Mane

And once again I'm really late to join the challenge. What's even worse: The next two days I'm visiting my family without a laptop, so I have not much time left ...

For this challenge I wanted to create an archaeological artifact for my fantasy world. It's a very simple clay amulet that was found on a burial ground called Dilach Mane. It shows some constellations of stars and two moons. It took the archaeologists a while to find out its meaning: The amulet shows the night sky at the moment of birth of its owner. In later years some more amulets of that kind were found on different burial grounds - some of them were a lot more skillful, some were even made of ivory or gold.

As this is my first time working with a vector program the whole layout took me a while (and I'm not completely happy with it). The amulet itself (which I made out of clay) is finished but I'm still working on the moons, the constellations, the descriptions and a map that shows the site of Dilach Mane. Hopefully I can finish it in time.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sternenamulett.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	883.0 KB 
ID:	114804

Welcome to the Challenge Neyasha! You really are cutting it close, I hope you have time to finish. The challenge will end late Sunday night.

It is cool that you actually made this out of clay.

Well, I'm a master procrastinator, so there's nothing more inspiring than a really tight deadline.
    I guess I'll be able to finish it this evening. The only things missing are the overview map of the region and the grave - and the english description which may be the greatest challenge ...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Sternenamulett2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	114855
    Last edited by Neyasha; 04-14-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Now this was more time consuming as I would have thought ... I got carried away with the grave and worked way too long on it and then I realised I couldn't use my existing height map of the region as this would have been against the rules. So I created some very simple map and didn't have a lot of time left for the text. Hopefully there are not too many misspellings and/or grammatical errors (it's too late in the evening for writing in foreign languages). Next time I should really start earlier. However - this has been a lot of fun and took me out of my comfort zone more than once.
    The panel was made with Gimp, Affinity Designer and clay.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Sternenamulett2_end.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	114863
    Last edited by Neyasha; 04-14-2019 at 05:32 PM.

"very simple made" should be "very simply made"
    "amulets where found" should be "amulets were found"
    "a lot more skillful" should be "a lot more skillfully made", though you likely would not see "a lot" used that way in academic writing, and you have space issues, so I'd recommend replacing that whole bit of text after the dash with "most have better workmanship than the F29 specimen, and some are ivory or gold."
    You might also wish to fix the line reading "the custom of the old Ecwelians." There is an absurd amount of space between words there.