Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bist Continent [commission]

Another of your maps to explore, always with the same immense pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Here's a crop of where the Northlands is and also Frosthaven, which is within the northlands.
    Attachment 114883

Then some random crops of areas I liked.
    Attachment 114884 - Attachment 114885 - Attachment 114886 - Attachment 114887

Attachment 114888 - Attachment 114889 - Attachment 114890 - Attachment 114891
    Damn that I can't Rep!!!

I love this map ... So detailed and inspiring ... Client must have been very pleased.
    I have two questions.... How long did you take to make this and the text, did you use a font or you did draw each letter?
    Again Great work of art .

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I love it when you develop a world with maps of different scales: regions, cities, remarkable places! And when it's done with your unbeatable talent, it's really excellent! The map is beautiful! And I have to come back to give it some rep... my list is getting longer

This is so cool! I remember your map of Frosthaven being one of the first maps that I came across when I started exploring fantasy cartography. It is one that I still go back to look at from time to time. It's really nice to see how much your style have changed and developed since then. Also, I always thought that the Northlands map showed a much larger area

Anyway, this is a stunning map with tons of tiny details, and I just love all of it! Great job John!

Absolutely fantastic! I love stuff like that...expanding the worlds. So thank you for sharing this and also for the close ups for more detail.
    That map is just wonderful (yeah, I'm kind of out of words to properly continue to describe your stuff without sounding like a broken record ^^).

Is it a personal setting or is it used in a professional product, do you know?

If i can, I'll Rep. you (but i will most likely need to spread it around for a bit first).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I'm going to have to use Dan's backward smile thing (: as there's too many comments to use the normal one.
    Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    The city of Frosthaven is still one of my favorite maps ever (if not the favorite), so I’m pretty excited to see another follow-up to this project. And this map is absolutely incredible. Thank you for all those close-ups.

And I have to say that those blue river labels are so amazing!

Cheers,
    Karl
    Thanks Karl (:
    I was really glad to be able to revisit this setting and work with Jim again.
    I think Frosthaven will always be one of my favorites as it was one of my first commissioned maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Another piece of your goes into my inspiration folder... getting a bit crowded in there with all of your other work. A wonderful piece indeed, and it's cool to here that you get to be a part of such a venerable world-building project.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh (:
    Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    You must be a wizard, because there is magic at work here, fantastic work, John!
    Thanks Adfor (:
    If I'm a wizard, I'm gonna be a grey wizard. ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    This is an amazing map! And I love seeing all those tiny details in the crops.
    Wolkard's Wall looks interesting. Was it destroyed or never finished?
    Thanks Neyasha (:
    I believe it was not completed. I wasn't given a ton of info on some areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardInk View Post
    Your work is a joy to savor, as always!
    Thanks Jess (:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Very nice work, J. As always. The fine details are always such a pleasure, and your maps have a great ability to draw the viewer into the world.

Wingshaw
    Thanks George (:
    Perhaps it's due to me sitting so close to my screen and mentally wandering around the scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great map John! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Bogie (:
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    This is astounding work ! And let me take my comment on the frame back, it's perfect May I ask the size of this one ? Thanks for sharing John
    Thank you Thomas (:
    I did some tweaking to the frame after you mentioned that.
    So it did get altered and improved.
    Full size is around 20 x 25 inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Another of your maps to explore, always with the same immense pleasure
    Thanks so much Beee (:
    Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Damn that I can't Rep!!!

I love this map ... So detailed and inspiring ... Client must have been very pleased.
    I have two questions.... How long did you take to make this and the text, did you use a font or you did draw each letter?
    Again Great work of art .
    Thanks Stefano (:
    I hope Jim was pleased. I think he was.
    It took me around two weeks or so, possibly a bit longer.
    I used a font. I think it's called Chaucer... https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/volcano/chaucer/
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I love it when you develop a world with maps of different scales: regions, cities, remarkable places! And when it's done with your unbeatable talent, it's really excellent! The map is beautiful! And I have to come back to give it some rep... my list is getting longer
    Thanks Joel (:
    I love being able to do zoomed in or zoomed out versions of maps.
    So this was a fun thing to have worked with these three.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    This is so cool! I remember your map of Frosthaven being one of the first maps that I came across when I started exploring fantasy cartography. It is one that I still go back to look at from time to time. It's really nice to see how much your style have changed and developed since then. Also, I always thought that the Northlands map showed a much larger area

Anyway, this is a stunning map with tons of tiny details, and I just love all of it! Great job John!
    Thanks Dan (:
    Yeah, I wasn't aware when I created the Northlands map that it was the size it was.
    It still works. Things are just a bit closer together than maybe originally thought.
    I guess it's good that we never had a scale on the previous maps.
    I think it still works as the northlands are is a bit over 70 miles across.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northlands.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	114916
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Absolutely fantastic! I love stuff like that...expanding the worlds. So thank you for sharing this and also for the close ups for more detail.
    That map is just wonderful (yeah, I'm kind of out of words to properly continue to describe your stuff without sounding like a broken record ^^).

Is it a personal setting or is it used in a professional product, do you know?

If i can, I'll Rep. you (but i will most likely need to spread it around for a bit first).
    Thanks Eilathen (:
    It's a personal setting, but they run a campaign over on Obsidian Portal.

I thought I'd post these here just for fun.
    Zooming in....

Name:	Bist Continent by jstevensonIG.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	114917

the the region of the Northlands....

Name:	Bist Continent [crop00] by jstevensonIG.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	591.9 KB 
ID:	114918

Where this map sits...

Name:	The Northlands by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	114919

and then on in to Frosthaven...

Name:	Frosthaven 2015 by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	114920

I definitely want to do more of this sort of thing.
    I have some stuff for Luma that's like this, but not released yet.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I LOVE that sort of thing !!!!! It give so much life to your world ! (and shows how much more maps you have to draw to cartography the whole world.... )

*insert the list of "awesome" synonyms you prefer here*!
    Just incredible work, John. I completely love it. And I also ove that zoom in which connects your related works.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I LOVE that sort of thing !!!!! It give so much life to your world ! (and shows how much more maps you have to draw to cartography the whole world.... )
    Thanks Joel I want to do this with some of my own story lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    *insert the list of "awesome" synonyms you prefer here*!
    Just incredible work, John. I completely love it. And I also ove that zoom in which connects your related works.
    Thanks Ilanthar
    I wish i had more connected commissions.
    Then I could do more of this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12