Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bridge of Retal

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map Bridge of Retal

An illustration I did recently... a little on the "doodling" mode.
    I'm trying to see how to use Guillaume Tavernier's technique for maps rather than illustrations, but I find it difficult to use this technique when you enlarge the scale. I still have to practice and look for solutions.
    I also try to acquire a minimum of know-how to draw characters. In the specific case, it's a picture of a man in a costume that I copied and adapted.
    It's a bit "easy", I confess. It's really basic stuff, but when you haven't learned to draw, you have to start somewhere.
    For this exercise, I took a place in the world of Nossym to draw it. It is a fortified bridge near a village by the sea. It's always one more element in my wife's stories...

Critics and comments are welcome !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bridge of Retal.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	114947

This is really nice work Jo. Great job on the rendering, the gate tower really looks 3-dimensional. You know, looking at the towers though I think including a thin rim light to the edge of the sunny portion would be a nice final touch. Also, I really like how you've drawn the ripples in the river. Great work all around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    This is really nice work Jo. Great job on the rendering, the gate tower really looks 3-dimensional. You know, looking at the towers though I think including a thin rim light to the edge of the sunny portion would be a nice final touch. Also, I really like how you've drawn the ripples in the river. Great work all around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh !
    By "rim" line, you mean a fine line of light ?

Yes, that's what I had in mind.

It's splendid, Jo, especially the color & texture on the towers. I also love your choice for the lightning source : it makes the gate even more intimidating

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

That looks incredible (sorry, can't rep you at the moment)!

Well done. You are getting a lot of 3d work going on lately.
    And it looks awesome. Look forward to more.

Very nice work! The perspective and 3d feel is obvious, making the structure very alive.
    One nitpick : the texture with cracks on the shield seems a bit out of place, imho.

As for the character, it's a nice one. And you know, I suspect we are many to learn by using existing pictures (photographs, drawings, or 3d models...) as basis or models. I'm still doing that very often, even if in the end, after a lot of editing and modifications, it can be far from the original inspiration.

Guild Apprentice

Please keep in mind that my stick figures look bad, but I'd say this is very nice; in particular the detail on the rocks and the shadow outlines adds a nice touch (and the water rapids and ripples as has been mentioned).

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    It's splendid, Jo, especially the color & texture on the towers. I also love your choice for the lightning source : it makes the gate even more intimidating
    Thanks Misty ! I did choose carefully to let some light pass through the gate (now I just realise I could have drawn the shadow of another iron grid) ... I'm glad you like it !

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    That looks incredible (sorry, can't rep you at the moment)!
    No problem.. I have the same issue here ! Thanks for your comment !

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Well done. You are getting a lot of 3d work going on lately.
    And it looks awesome. Look forward to more.
    Thanks J. ... I think I just choose the "easy" path, and it's illustration of this kind. The problem is that what I would like to draw, is maps, not illustration. But it takes more time to finish. I have some maps that I started, but I got caught in the middle and finished drawing illustration instead (I think the cause is that for maps, I need my computer and tablet... for illustration, i can make most of the work on the Ipad, which means I can draw during lunch break at work)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice work! The perspective and 3d feel is obvious, making the structure very alive.
    One nitpick : the texture with cracks on the shield seems a bit out of place, imho.

As for the character, it's a nice one. And you know, I suspect we are many to learn by using existing pictures (photographs, drawings, or 3d models...) as basis or models. I'm still doing that very often, even if in the end, after a lot of editing and modifications, it can be far from the original inspiration.
    Thanks Ilanthar ! I think I should try to soften the marks on the shield (or, at least, change the scale to make them more little ?)
    I couldn't say you use picture for your charcaters ! They are so special, in such different posture (and some don't even look human), that I would have sworn you draw them from scratch ! This is encouraging news for me !
    I found some little 3D models and took picture of them. Now I just have to try to draw them (with a face... which is not the easiest part)... Too much projects, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Please keep in mind that my stick figures look bad, but I'd say this is very nice; in particular the detail on the rocks and the shadow outlines adds a nice touch (and the water rapids and ripples as has been mentioned).
    Thanks a lot Deeds. For the water, I tried to inspire myself from the last dungeon I draw (with the waterfall). I was suprised it looked OK. I thought it wouldn't work for such river..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast