Thread: "Lost Continent Of Elderaak" Fantasy Map Showcase!!

Post "Lost Continent Of Elderaak" Fantasy Map Showcase!!

Attachment 115027

Having a little bit of fun with this fantasy map side project, mainly to test out new techniques to improve maps in photoshop.

The Lore is not yet polished but the premise is set on a humongous world where massive creatures used to reign king before a devastating event happened and killed most life on the planet. This continent/island is the remains of an ancient dragon from days past that through time became known as "The Lost Continent Of Elderaak".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lost-Continent-Of-Elderaak-tiny.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	7.78 MB 
ID:	115028  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This is a really unusual and cool style! I'd be interested in learning a little bit about how you did this, if you're willing to share. Looks like pen & ink, but I can't tell how you colored it.

And I have to say, hands-down some of the best mountains I've seen.

I must say, I agree with D, this is stunning, and very unique. Quite perplexed myself as to how you created this!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Great map! I especially love how you did the "head" of the landmass. The colours of the trees and the terrain there is very well done.

One little feedback on polishing the map is, the normal size of the map makes it a little bit obvious the repeating pattern/texture of the ocean. So, one thing I might suggest you do is maybe take a random cloudy brush on 30% opacity, use the BURN tool (shadows) and brush over the more obvious parts of the repeating texture, to get the shading you are adding to somewhat remove the worst of it. Don't go too dark, just a light shading on the parts to just add some randomness to the ocean texture at large.

Option 2, is creating a layer above the ocean texture, Multiply mode, you paint in your shading with your paint brush. Then you can just lower or up the Opacity of the layer to your liking.

Still, this is already a good map. Keep it up.

(If you have any questions to what I am getting at, you are welcome to ask. )
    Last edited by XCali; 04-26-2019 at 06:23 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19