Thread: Three days in London

Default Three days in London

So I've had an unexpected trip to Europe sort of fall in my lap and will have 3 days in London. I'm not sure what I want to see other than some interesting architecture. Like I said, this isn't well planned on my part. I was just offered tickets to join my brother in law and who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

I think we will visit the Museum and the Tower but if there is anything especially inspiring that someone might mention I will definitely look into it.

Only have the three days however as we are headed to Normandy after that and spending the next 10 days or so moving along the coast and eventually to Paris where I will fly home.

I better see some castles along the way tho!
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 04-22-2019 at 12:35 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wow, lucky you, Jax!

I lived in London for a few years, so here's a list of places I'd recommend (it depends very much what you like, of course):
    - top choice (in my opinion): Holland Park. It is a great park, located close to Kensington and Hyde Park, and the jewel of the park is the Japanese Garden
    - Seven Dials and Covent Garden: located in the city centre, this area has a fantastic atmosphere to it. Lots of pretty little streets and cobble-stone alleyways, with boutique shops and cafes around
    - Southbank: from Westminster to Borough Market, the Southbank has some of London's best sites and views: Shakespeare's Theatre, St Paul's Cathedral (within 5 minutes walk), Tate Modern, London Eye, not to mention all the street performers and food vendors (Borough Market is incredible for food)
    - Camden Market: crowded as hell, but worth the visit. Especially if you find your way into the old horse stables
    - if you wanna party, you can't beat Shoreditch - clubs, bars, and hipster cafes galore
    - if you want a slightly Caribbean vibe, Portobello Market. It's a long and busy market in West London (very close to Holland Park actually). I'm pretty sure they even have a fake tropical beach...
    - since you're looking for castles, you could try Hampton Court Palace: it's a little bit away from the centre, but it dates back to the Tudors I believe and is still in great condition

That's all that comes to mind right now. Hope you find some of those suggestions helpful

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Blog Entries

How are you "heading" to Normandy ? If your going via ferry or the tunnel at Dover then you absolutely must allocate some time (half a day at least) to stop at Dover and check out that castle. Its one of the best in the UK. The Tower of London is a proper castle but its not very typical of Norman castles in the UK. Windsor is more so but its still a working palace so access is limited. There are many castles spread over the UK esp Wales but not many typical ones in London. But you will not be disappointed with the one at Dover:

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/.../dover-castle/

I also think Westminster Abbey is worth looking at too. It is a monster of an abbey with great architecture, the place where most of the royals get married / coronated and has many famous people buried there.

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/

Big Ben (Elizabeth Tower) is under a lot of wraps and scaffolding at present.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-22-2019 at 06:20 AM.

I'd suggest a visit to Greenwich and the Royal Observatory. You can get a boat trip down the Thames to Greenwich and it's a nice day out (assuming the weather isn't awful).

I'd second Wingshaw's recommendation for a wander along the South Bank. It's nice there, though quite touristy. If you do go there, I'd definitely recommend a visit to Shakespeare's Globe Theatre for a tour. It's great to see a reconstruction of an Elizabethan theatre.

Also, and this might be a bit macabre, but if you want to get away from people, noise and traffic, how about a visit to Highgate Cemetery. It's an old Victorian cemetery, slightly rambling and overgrown, but gorgeous and so peaceful. (I get that wandering around graveyards is not everyone's cup of tea, but Highgate is special).

London's great for a visit, as there's so much to see and do (though I'd go insane if I lived there). Have fun!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    How are you "heading" to Normandy ? If your going via ferry or the tunnel at Dover then you absolutely must allocate some time (half a day at least) to stop at Dover and check out that castle. Its one of the best in the UK.
    We plan to fly into Caen unless the weather kaboshes that in which case we'll take the tunnel. I know we are staying in Mont St Michel one night.

Thanks everyone for this helpful feedback. I'm not sure what I'll have time for but Dover castle sounds awesome. Even if I don't get there this time it's apparent I'm going to have to come again and bring my wife

I'm thinking Covent garden sounds wonderful. Southbank along with some of the locations will take a day. Plus my bother in law is a bit of a foodie.

The royal observatory also looks good with the boat ride. I'd be up for the Cemetery but I'm thinking my brother in law would look at me funny. LOL.

I'm not much of a partier so I can skip that. I do want to hit a pub or two.
    I'm thinking if I want Caribbean I should go to the Caribbean but it does sound fun.

Westminster would be something to see as well... Ok I'm going to see what I can work out with our itinerary.

You guys rock.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 04-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Hi,
    Not related to London, but if you are going to the Mont Saint Michel (beware, it's often overcrowded), you may consider to visit the chateau de Fougères, not far away (50mn by car) and said to be the biggest well preserved european medieval fortress...

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Hi,
    Not related to London, but if you are going to the Mont Saint Michel (beware, it's often overcrowded), you may consider to visit the chateau de Fougères, not far away (50mn by car) and said to be the biggest well preserved european medieval fortress...
    I second that ! It's a great castle ! very well preserved !!!! I enjoyed every minute of the visit !!! That is, of cours, if you're fond of castle ...

That fortress sounds awesome. I'm going to see if we can fit that in.

If you're into modern history and technology, the Bovington Tank Museum is accessible from London.