Thread: Avemore

Default Avemore

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FANTASY MAP 01 - AVEMORE.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	115151

This is my first time posting.
    This is a map I made for practice. I have done more since and created a vague world based on the things I put in the maps. Really fun and inspiring experience.
    I made the map by first inking it out on paper and then adding texture and colour digitally.

I posted the wrong image at first, I hope I have corrected this mistake properly.
    Last edited by Pictsy; 04-29-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Welcome to the Guild Pictsy! These are pretty good for someone new to the craft. I like that you've included fjords. Your lettering is also quite charming. Keep practicing and posting your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hi Pictsy, nice first map! I really like what you've done artistically. The colors are great, and the drawing is much MUCH better than mine was when I started. I especially like the town markers.

Your rivers are doing some unfortunate things though. Specifically, you have them splitting up on their way to the ocean instead of joining. That's ok in certain situations (like a swampy delta) but that doesn't seem to be the case here. There's a great sticky in the tutorial area of the forums called "How to get your rivers in the right place" that can help.

Thank you for the encouraging comments.

It's a shame about the rivers. I've got another 18 maps already finished and it shows up frequently. Maybe I should add something to the fluff to justify it?

Speaking of fluff, is it worth posting what I've written alongside my maps? The lore I've done is pretty pedestrian, but drawing out this series of maps inspired a world I had no intention of fleshing out.

Blog Entries

Nice first post map ! Its finished off very well with that border. You ought to enter some of the lite challenges as I think you would do well.

People like the fluff and background to a map - I know I do. I think if your doing a big project or making up a WIP thread to a map then posting some of that at the start can help people get into what your doing as well.

I was going to mention the rivers too but Gidde has beat me to it. In this particular map it looks like something special is going on at that location that may justify it but in general things like this don't occur. There are a few selected instances where a river splits but its amazingly uncommon.

Maybe I can make a joke out of it and say that this worlds river deity has a thing for splits and deltas. They may even get teased by the rest of the pantheon for it.

Challenges sounds interesting, I'll have a look at that.

Here is my fluff for this map and a bit of an introduction to this world at large:

At the south-eastern frontier of the Great Dwarve Empire lies the realm of Avemore. After the Great Catastrophe (an event forgetten by most) many humans managed to survive in this area and maintain an agrarian culture for the centuries to come. Legends tell of two heroes who’s exploits helped shaped the regions culture and start its development out the dark age after the Great Catastrophe. Their names were Aven and Conmore.

Over time two cities, Rivergate and Wadingside, started to gain power and influence in their respective areas. Rivergate received tribute and loyalty of the towns and castles from Conbourne to Baysong to Conmore Point to Brightreef. Whilst Wadingside claimed the allegiance of the towns and castles from Aven Crossing to Averift to Leafside.

The two powers in the area have a deep animosity to one another in their plays to be the major influence in the area, constantly undermining one another. Open conflict has yet to occur, however tensions rise and the possibility looms ever present.

In the north of the region is the Dwarve Empire. Their cities inside the mountain, Baourdiar, Cronhim and Khu Muru are largely unknown to the peoples of Avemore. As is the coastal city of Dulconave. The Dwarves do their business in the area at Mortham, Myradur, Brassvale and Bronhorn, four settlements who’s administration was taken over by the Dwarves, but population remains largely that of Avemore. The Dwarves and the people of Avemore have mutually beneficial trade that has helped Rivergate and Wadingside grow in size and power over the last couple of centuries. It may be that the hostilities are due to the manipulations of the Dwarves for some potential benefit to their empire.

The area is home to other races including the Wood Elves. They generally keep to themselves although some have moved to settlements and there are generations of integrated Elves in the area unflatteringly referred to as Town Elves. On rare occasions one of the harbours may receive a visit from the almost fabled Shanhove Elves (or Sea Elves).

In the east and north are the ruins of Vogh and Kust respectively. These ruins and the areas around them hold great evils. They are relics of the Human Empire that existed before the Great Catastrophe but such knowledge is long lost to the people of the world.