Thread: Dragon Shire (WIP)

Default Dragon Shire (WIP)

Good evening!

I am new to the forums and wanted to post a new piece I am working on. Some of my notes for revisions...

- The ocean label sucks; needs to be better. I am not entirely happy with the coastline either but I am not sure how to go back and change it.

- I think the place of "Bainster Highlands" could be better but if I made the text any smaller it became unclear. would you adivse moving it farther up? I was trying to balance it, in the middle.

- At first I was into the numbered locations; but now I dont have room for a legend. Maybe the numbers could be replaced with location labels?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DragonShire2.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	115215

I also have this one....

Name:	DragonShire.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	115216
    Last edited by CredePendrel; 05-02-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Don't worry too much about the coastline; just apply the lesson learned to the next one (since it's REALLY hard to change at this stage).

For the ocean label, why not outline it in a light color the way you did with the land labels? Then it would both match and show up a little better against the water. The highlands label looks fine to me.

I really like the mountain effect you have going. The forests look good, but kind of flat next to the mountains. Try just a little bit of shading (a very-slightly-offset drop shadow would work if they're on their own layer) to give them a tiny bit of depth.

Small update on water label and I added a compass rose.

Name:	DragonShire3.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	115288

I think Im almost done with this one for now. I am however, not completely happy with the map frame at the moment. Does any one have a good tutorial for making a custom map frame? I found an interesting workflow in this tutorial (step 20) which I will try and tackle once I find an appropriate looking symbol...

Name:	DragonShire3.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	115305

In a spur of the moment decision I purchased wonderdraft yesterday. What a great program this is. In about 20 mins I was able to recreate my DragonShire map with pleasing results.

Name:	DragonShire_wd.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	7.77 MB 
ID:	115349