View Poll Results: DMing has influenced my Mapping

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • I make most of my Maps & Images for a game.

26 50.00%
  • I borrow most of the images and make a few

2 3.85%
  • I game but don't use my maps etc there (modules etc)

4 7.69%
  • I used to game but it interfered with my mapping

0 0%
  • I'd like to game but I don't have time\opportunity for it

9 17.31%
  • I'm much happier making maps for their own sake.

11 21.15%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll - Gaming and Maping

Post An Odd Duck...

Hi, All.

I guess I'm a bit of an odd duck. I have never done any role playing or role playing games. Probably the closest I've ever come to doing so was playing Zork on my Commodore 64. (Does that count?)

I suppose it is never to late to learn to play an RPG?

Whenever I make maps, graphics (now, temples, cities, etc.) I am pretty much making them for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment I get at looking at and sharing them.

Does that make me an odd duck?

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

I make maps for a campaign world I'm developing, but I don't currently play anything (though I'd like to).

I make most of the maps I use in my games, whether an original idea or based on another map.

I also love mapping for its own sake, so many times I'll create a map for something I may never use in a game. I find it very relaxing.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Guild Apprentice
    Earth, North American Continent, Southeast USA
    Blog Entries

i'm doing my maps for a fan fiction series i'm working on

Back in the days when I did run games, I made all my maps by hand. I fiddled around in the early 80s though, with the Apple II graphics as a means of drawing cleaner dungeon maps, but it never really worked out the way I had hoped and, of course, I was off to do my civic duty shortly after that. As far as notes went, I was very detailed about such things and often had a back story behind each dungeon, city and/or encounter map.

The only problem I could see with sharing maps/adventures would be the gaming system in use. I used to play ADnD (1st and 2nd editions) then converted over to Hero Systems. Converting characters, monsters, skills and abilities turned out to be a considerable amount of work, particularly the combat system since Hero Systems used armor as defense against damage rather than defense against being hit. If the notes were generalized, i.e. not listing specific stats, but rather listing them by ranks (very weak, weak, average, strong, very strong etc) then making the conversions between gaming systems might be easier.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

It's not fair, now I actually have enough money to buy the games I want and I have enough skill to make the maps I want, I no longer have the time or I think the ability to suspend disbelief that I used to.

I would love to have a game of D&D sometime around the kitchen table...hell I even have a kitchen table now!

Blog Entries

If your anything like me then I have money and a kitchen table (actually a wide kitchen shelf but whos measuring) because I have no time. Every occasion I get plenty of time I run out of money. They say time is money. I almost agree. I think you can convert money into time easily (you can convert money into quite a lot of things easily actually) but time into money is a harder but we all seem to be press ganged into it anyway. The bit I don't like is that in order to get just enough money you have to convert all of your time and yet it takes an extraordinary amount of money to buy a small amount of time.

Oh yeah, and I still think we should have a guild VTT orc bash at some point - probably using MapTool I guess since thats the most popular here. Could do these at sporadic but one off events just to taste the magic of being a player again...

Monthly challenge - make a map for next sesh and winner has to GM it heh heh
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-04-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12