Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilbur rescaling

Default Wilbur rescaling

Hello , I was wondering if is possible in wilbur to rescale part of the map I am working on to produce a gradient rescale ... what Imean is I have the sea part that is too shallow , I want it more deep but I do not want to have an abrupt decrease of the heights near the coastlines so I would like something more gently fading toward the deeps ... to rescale the sea part like from -1000 -0 m to -10000 - 0 m .

Is it possible? Any tips on how ?
    Thanks for any answer.

You could use a math function....

If(Lt(curval,0),curval*(1+(curval/100)),curval)

This would evaluate the current to determine if it is above or below sea level, if below it multiplies by a factor of 10 based on how far below sea level it the evaluation point currently is. Shallow areas won't be affected as drastically as deeper areas.

You could also use an exponent value greater than 1 for areas below sea level. Though this won't actually make things deeper as far as I understand it.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 05-20-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Select the sea areas (Select>>From Terrain>>Height Range, minimum -100000; maximum 0), feather the selection (Select>>Feather), then do the operation that you're looking for (e.g. remap altitudes or exponential)? It will only affect the sea areas that way.

That too. Good Mr. W always seems to have a simpler answer. Ain't we lucky.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Select the sea areas (Select>>From Terrain>>Height Range, minimum -100000; maximum 0), feather the selection (Select>>Feather), then do the operation that you're looking for (e.g. remap altitudes or exponential)? It will only affect the sea areas that way.
    Thankyou but , the feather won't touch the land too?

If you know what depth you want to start your scaling at, you can select that as your max value instead of 0. For instance, -10000 min and -100 max, then a bit of feathering. May have to experiment to get it where you want, but feathering in Wilbur, based on my experience "shrinks" the selection instead of expanding it. Waldronate can, I hope, verify that assumption, or at least correct it if I am wrong.
    GW

Feather will smooth out the edges, which might overlap the land a bit. You can use Select>>Contract to shrink the ocean selection before applying the feather to ensure no incursion into the land area.

Feather is a blur operation on the selection, while expand and contract are distance-based operations. Blur makes the precise edge wander, while distance operations won't.

Thankyou , I tried, but for some reason the exponent filter, made all the continents flat white and the sea flat violet :/ ...

IS there a way to import an heightmap directly into a selection without touching the rest?

Also I noticed that hitting undo function brings back a black screen , and after making some mathematical function applications the application crashes .
    Last edited by Naima; 05-21-2019 at 06:46 AM.

There is a way to do that, but can't really explain it well through my phone. If Waldronate hasn't been by to explain before I get home today, I will throw it up then.
    GW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast