Thread: "City Streets" - Any Comments?

Default "City Streets" - Any Comments?

"City Streets" - Brand New Map. This Map Shows a City Scene, Near the Main Carriageway. The Map Includes A Variety Of Buildings and Dwellings, Including Both Private Properties and Businesses. The Chequered Areas Indicate Footpaths. The Two Public Houses Have Small Beer Gardens, With Tables and Chairs. To The West, a Barricade of Wooden Crates and Circular Ale Barrels Block The Road.
    #cartography #cartographer #cartographic #fantasymaps #imaginarymaps #fantasycartography #art #artist #illustration #fineliner #blackink #ink #citymap #city #citystreets #dwellings #fantasycity #fantasycities #gurps #dnd #dnd5e #pathfinder #thefantasytrip #dungeonfantasyrpg #adnd #sharpie #sharpieart #derwent #derwentcolouringpencils #justinknightcartography

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hey!

Nice building you have here.

I will say, I was trying to figure out what you were trying to set up here, and exactly it is you are asking feedback on. Still, some of the tags makes me think about a tabletop RPG. So, let's tackle what I see here in the perspective.

Tell me if I'm wrong, the checker blocks makes feel like you want the players to remain on the streets, as they feel like a barrier in some sense, but, those boxes? in the middle bottom, makes me think there is maybe a place to go back there.

It remains the checker blocks, for me, take away from the scene. Maybe if there was one row of them around a house I would think a wall. As it is now, it makes it far too busy.

A friend on this guild once told me something in the line that empty space on a map is sometimes needed.
    If every inch of it is busy, then one can have hard time figuring how to interpret the map. IT DOESN'T mean you can't fill in your scene with objects, but you have to have a balance.
    Aside from that, I would go about adding shadows to the buildings to get them pop out of the map.

I would really like to know what you are actually trying to showcase in this scene, is the road the main thing, is the buildings? It is hard to tell. So, I would like to know better, maybe then I can give more specific feedback.

EDIT: How did you do the map? Drawn with Ink or Digital?
    If Ink, you can effectively use small dots to showcase dirt, and a small number of rocks dotted only a few places around the map. The road you either have to commit and make the blocks bigger and connected somehow, OR use SUBTLE lines to showcase the wear and tear of the ground handling traffic.
    Last edited by XCali; 05-24-2019 at 05:08 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide excellent feedback on my "City Streets" RPG Map. It was very kind of you to take the time to write so much in your post.

I definitely agree that the Buildings could benefit from some shading and shadow. I should really have dedicated the time to do this and I think I will try and improve the map as much as I am able to now that I have received your comments. I also agree that the Blocks should be drawn closer together. Thank you for bringing my attention to this.

The Checkerboard Squares around the buildings and the road were meant to be symbols that the area was Pedestrianised. I think I thought that I could just go ahead and draw a neat and tidy pattern, without any thought to the confusion it may cause people who as you rightly say may well think it is a restricted area. The Checkerboard squares are quite time consuming and my incorrect logic was if it takes time it must be good.

The main features on the map were I think the Buildings.

I created the drawing with Black Ink Fine-liners and Fine and Ultra Fine Point Sharpies. The drawing was then scanned at A3 size and the Border created using Microsoft Paint 3D.

I really appreciate what you were politely suggesting to me and I think I may try and improve the map a little rather than call it a finished piece of work just yet.

Thank you so much for your time! I will pay attention what you have said when I create my future work.

Have a great Weekend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"City Streets" - New Enhanced Map. This Map Shows a City Scene, Near the Main Carriageway. The Map Includes A Variety Of Buildings and Dwellings, Including Both Private Properties and Businesses. The Chequered Areas Indicate Footpaths. The Two Public Houses Have Small Beer Gardens, With Tables and Chairs. To The West, a Barricade of Wooden Crates and Circular Ale Barrels Block The Road.
    #cartography #cartographer #cartographic #fantasymaps #imaginarymaps #fantasycartography #art #artist #illustration #fineliner #blackink #ink #citymap #city #citystreets #dwellings #fantasycity #fantasycities #gurps #dnd #dnd5e #pathfinder #thefantasytrip #dungeonfantasyrpg #adnd #sharpie #sharpieart #derwent #derwentcolouringpencils #justinknightcartographyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	City Streets Final Shaded A3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	115621