Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: [CC3/DD3] Old School Dungeon Maps: The Castle of the Mad Archmage

Love the old school.

is this gonna be a tomb of horrors style map or a keep on the bordlerlands level?

Just curious,
    Marc

Great memories
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Davros01 View Post
    Love the old school.

is this gonna be a tomb of horrors style map or a keep on the bordlerlands level?

Just curious,
    Marc

Great memories
    Thanks Davros!

The Castle of the Mad Archmage picks up where Gary Gygax's Castle Zygag: The Upper Works by Troll Lord Games left off (since they lost the license from Gygax Games after Gary passed away) - at Level 2. Essentially, it's the dungeon below the ruins of Castle Greyhawk. Joe Bloch (the Greyhawk Grognard) has done an amazing job collecting Gary's (and others who played in the original) comments and hints about Castle Greyhawk, and is designing his own version based on those. The PDF, which gets updated with a new level regularly, is a great read - Joe Bloch has really captured the "feel" of an old school TSR module and it includes a lot of Gygaxian prose and even some humor. It's a free download, so I recommend checking it out.

And if you don't have Castle Zygag: The Upper Works, you should check out Rath's (Richard Graves) Level 1 of The Mad Demigod's Castle.
    Last edited by jaerdaph; 01-25-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Default The Castle of the Mad Archmage Level 8

Here's the poster maps for Level 8 of The Castle of the Mad Archmage, released today at Greyhawk Grognard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level08POSTER.png 
Views:	1089 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	21437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level08POSTERbw.png 
Views:	957 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	21438  
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's another nice piece of work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Is the numbering on the maps for show, or is there reference to adventure hooks for these maps somewhere? Also, very nice work. Thanks for the resource.
    Last edited by Trey; 02-14-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    Is the numbering on the maps for show, or is there reference to adventure hooks for these maps somewhere? Also, very nice work. Thanks for the resource.
    Hi Trey,

You can download the latest PDF of The Castle of the Mad Archmage by Joe Bloch (the Greyhawk Grognrd) with encounter details for all eight levels I've mapped to date here at his blog: http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com...y-release.html

We are currently working on levels 9, 10 and 11, which will be released together since they are all interwoven.
    jaerdaph

Looking at these maps makes me feel so nostalgic, it brings a tear to my eye. LOVE it. Good to hear there is more to come.

Professional Artist

Awesome work... glad that the "old school" work is still alive. (which is the best work imo)

Thanks, guys. The author Joe Block, our editor Steve Rubin and I have been doing a lot of work to tighten up the module and maps, fix errata etc. The current, most accurate version of the maps can always be found in the quads (we usually break the posters down into four quadrants) in the PDF of The Castle of the Mad Archmage). When we finally get to the end (bottom) of the dungeon, I'll be re-releasing all the poster maps with all corrections, known errata etc. along with some other enhancements improvements.
    jaerdaph

Awesome work! I love megadugeons and this one sure is awesome. When you get the poster maps ready you could make them available for down load or print on demand. That would be cool!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast