Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: [CC3/DD3] Old School Dungeon Maps: The Castle of the Mad Archmage

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Apparently it was almost impossible to photocopy.
    This. They used a shade of blue called "non-photo blue" It's used in really good quality graph paper (I have some). It's also used by comic artists for penciling, eliminating the need to erase. Pretty smart idea, if you ask me.

Did you ever release the Undermountain versions of levels 8-13?

Old school blue is just so purty. Thanks for this!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Umberfane's Avatar

Great project and great adventure to boot!!!!

Yes another zombie bump. Sorry! I've been looking at a lot of Undermountain-ish maps lately and this came up in my search. Links to the pdf vis grogdog is broken and I noticed the Undermountain-like versions of some of these maps were not finished? I take it this is a dead project?

Those maps were really nice in all versions though the blue kind of messed with my eyes.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by jaerdaph View Post
    Greyhawk Grognard Joe Bloch is doing this really cool old school Castle Greyhawk-esque mega dungeon called The Castle of the Mad Archmage.

I decided to try mapping this out in classic retro old school module blue and white using the December 2007 Cartographer's Annual. Here are the first two maps (the northeast and southeast sections of level two). I hope to have the last two map sections (northwest and southwest) completed by Sunday. I intend to paste all four maps together for a single "giant poster" PNG when I'm done as well.
    This is exactly the awesome old school goodness I was looking for! Particularly the darker colored maps of the same style like below...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level06APOSTERum.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	59133

I read that these maps were made with Campaign Cartographer 3 Pro which is $45. I see that the original poster hasn't posted in more than a year, but maybe someone out there might know of a similar but free program that can be used to make these types of maps? I have a few hand drawn maps on graphing paper that I'd like to convert to a style like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarshm View Post
    I read that these maps were made with Campaign Cartographer 3 Pro which is $45. I see that the original poster hasn't posted in more than a year, but maybe someone out there might know of a similar but free program that can be used to make these types of maps? I have a few hand drawn maps on graphing paper that I'd like to convert to a style like this.
    I'm not being funny, but can't you just use an MS Excel document or similar free spreadsheet (eg. Google Docs) and colour in the squares, adding the odd number to rooms? I don't understand buying a programme to do this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567