Thread: Hello from California

Default Hello from California

Hey Everybody!

My name's Evan (aka dragonice501, my usual online name), I'm 24, from Californy, and just joined the guild! Decided to join because i've been teaching myself writing, specifically epic high fantasy and worldbuilding, so of course i needed a map, and thought this would be a great place to get started and hopefully develop my skills. Hope i can be great member!

Hello, neighbor! I recommend when writing that you sketch your map out very roughly and fill in as you write and realize what your narrative needs will be. Only settle on a final design and create a polished map after you're done writing. Committing to a map in advance is doable, but you can find that you write yourself into a corner if you do that. Same for other elements of world-building. Just sketch out enough to get started on, then fill in as needed, otherwise you end up as a world-builder who sometimes makes writing notes instead of a writer who has some development to his world. (It's very easy to go down various world-building rabbit holes and never come out again. And then if you do write, you end up having to redo much of it anyway. Better to keep focus on the writing, if you want to be a writer.)

Of course, there are sketches and there are sketches. And local maps may need detailing for particular purposes, such as fully developing a battlefield area so you can visualize the battle. Mapping software can be a useful tool when roughing out the world, though I generally prefer to work in pencil (but then, I'm of an older generation). If you learn to map with a general-purpose graphics program, you'll also be able to use it for character portraits and the like.

That's some pretty good advice actually, thank you very much! I'll admit i was ready to dive into map making without having much of my actual story done so that was a pretty good warning for me, so i think i'll try working on the two in parallel now. You do any writing?

I do write. I also know from experience how easy it is to stretch yourself thin and for the past year I have been focused on finishing up projects that are sitting around in various stages of partial completion.

What books have you written, and what kind of maps have you done for them? I'd love to get a bit of insight i you can, i have a bit of hard time keeping motivated to tell you the truth.