Thread: Rhomtey

Default Rhomtey

There are so many creative artists around here, and so many evocative map elements, that I decided to pick one I liked and try to mimic some of the elements I liked from their maps.

Here it is - a scan of the pen and paper drawing, and then a version colored in Gimp. I think I learned some things. Some things also changed along the way - like the border, I started in on it, then frowned to myself, checked against a reference or two, and shifted to another style.

You get three guesses who I'm imitating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhomtey_000006.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	908.8 KB 
ID:	115630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhomtey_color.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	7.26 MB 
ID:	115629

Very charming! I really like what you did with the rivers flowing out of forests, it keeps the semblance of foliage while still showing a river. I love the border and colors too. Great work!

Thanks! The rivers in forests, the border, the deserts, and the mountain shading were particular things I was trying to mimic. I'm glad some of them came off well.

I like it but I cannot quite put my finger on why ...

... but seriously, I really like that ultramarine sea and the terrain relief is epic ! If I had some advice, it would be to make the mountains more dense and overlapped and the desert shading more subtle but besides that, great job ! And kudos for the border, I know how an ordeal this is.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 05-28-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Nice work and homage ! You nailed the border, indeed.
    And those deserts makes me think of Arrakis, somehow.