Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2019 Lite Mapping Challenge: Path of Distruction

Default May/June 2019 Lite Mapping Challenge: Path of Distruction

I had actually started this challenge almost 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, my original external hard drive quit on me little over a week ago, and I can no longer access anything that was saved on it. Which means I have to start all over again.

Which I guess is just as well, as I didn't really like what I had done before. This one is going a bit better, although I am no where near as far along as I was. I have to make the stream/river first, before I can move on to the meat of the map... so that is where I am now.

I've always used the traditional dd3 to make streams and cliffs, so this time I'm going to try something new. I've never used this particular style before (that I remember) so I'm going to try it.

I'm not going to mention what kind of natural disaster I'm going to attempt, I'll let everyone see if they can figure it out. I will admit... as natural disasters go, this is the one that scares me the most...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Path of Distruction1.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	527.2 KB 
ID:	115682
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Thanks for joining the Challenge! Very pretty river.

Sorry to hear about your hard drive.

Ahh, Bogie, you know the river's not finished yet! Although, now, it is.

So, continuing on with this, my back drop is now complete... I can decide now, how I want to proceed. I'm debating between a VERY small village (not more than a hamlet, really), or a single dwelling... perhaps a small home with a couple of buildings.... I'm leaning more toward a hamlet... so I can get everything to proper scale.... but this river could be a stream. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go yet.

You know... it might help if I include my progress!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Path of Distruction2.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	585.5 KB 
ID:	115698
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 05-29-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: forgot the map!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Nice update, the river looks even better!

So, after thinking about it... I realized that for the disaster I want to create, it was best to have a small village, so that I could keep scaling in tact. So I'm setting up a very small fishing village... as I said, more of a hamlet, really. Just a few houses, and maybe a small pub, on the banks of a very small river... or perhaps a large stream. Now I can actually start working on my impending disaster.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Path of Distruction3.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	925.2 KB 
ID:	115725
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

So, rendering a tornado was not the easiest thing to do... but for a first attempt at one, I don't think I did TOO bad. I may tinker a little bit more, adding more clouds and lightning, but for the most part, this is done.

Growing up in the upper Midwest as a child, tornados were our biggest fear. The paths of destruction they cause are catastrophic, and when you combine that with the chaos and the little to no warning you receive on impending tornados, they are one of the most traumatic of the natural disasters. Which is why I chose it for my disaster map.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Path of DistructionF.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	115743
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I've done a little tweaking to this, so I thought I would post my latest update. I may still tweak it here and there... I'm still not completely happy with that tornado.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	33 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	115752
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Good Entry!
    Yes tornadoes are SCARY.

I've been near a couple.

First time was when I lived in Delaware. They didn't have a tornado warning system - probably wouldn't have heard it even if they did. It was a hot, humid and stormy night and the power suddenly went out for a couple of hours. I later found out that a tornado had touched down on the other side of the hill I lived on.

Second time was about eight years ago. According to neighbors, the tornado was still in the air when it passed just to the south of me. My weather radio wasn't working right and I was blissfully unaware until the tornado touched down about three mile east of me and took out the power lines.

Third time was about four years ago. There was a tornado warning and I saw rotation in the clouds as they approached me. I don't know if a funnel formed because I was down in the basement with nice concrete walls around me! (No reports of it touching down.)

My one observation that I normally think of the funnel cloud as descending from the clouds (connected to the clouds).
    And lightning tracks are rather thin and sharp. There's fuzziness around the bolt, but the bolt itself outshines that by an order of magnitude.

I like the airborne objects.

@bkh1914 - oh believe me, I understand! I remember when I was little girl living in Great Lakes, I was at school one day. We were outside during recess, and I actually watched a funnel form and drop a couple of miles away from us. One girl almost got trampled as we all high tailed it for the basement of our school. Thankfully for us, the tornado went the other way. Then there was another night, a year or two later, when I was woken up by the roaring sound similar to train racing down its track. We were lucky... that tornado took out all but 3 houses on our side of the street, ours was one of them... but it did take our car, and slammed it into one of the houses 4 doors down... Earthquakes, tidal waves, erupting volcanoes... all horrific natural disasters... but nothing terrifies me more than an active tornado.

As for mine... I see what you're saying, and I've also seen tornados that appear detached... but as I said before, I may continue to tweak this one...
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Last bit of tweaking, I'm calling this done. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	53 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	115773
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...