Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sambria: Night and Day

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Map Sambria: Night and Day

Hello there everyone!

I hope you all have been having a great day.

I can probably go on and on and add a boatload more stuff to the map, but I decided today that this is the final. Maybe one day I will expand on it. For now, I am happy.

The story behind this map goes back years. I wrote my book Nights of Sambria And the Wish of light, but I always wanted to realise my vision for one of its maps, at the very least. Though, technically, this map is west of where the first book plays off. As, realising that part of the world comes with different challenges, partly because of the twist in the first half of the book. Secondly, after the first one, a lot of story would play out on this side of the world. So, there were reasons. But, that said, I've been dreaming of doing this map justice for quite a time.

Problem was, a big part of played around what happened at night. Another big challenge. Though, I finally got it ticking towards what I wanted for it and also ironed out the style I want to do my Continental maps as a bonus.

Another thing about this map. I am a big fan of RPGs, so I wanted this map to have many mysteries for that kind of thing. I want adventures to happen. I would actually very much want to know if there is anyone who would want to have a run of a campaign on this map?

-----------------------------------------------
    Program used: GIMP (2.10)
    Program used for Labelling: GIMP (2.10)

Once the sun sets, the lands become far more dangerous, the lights beckons for those that wish to say safe. But, beware, there are some things out there that have learned to imitate the safety of the light only to ambush the unwary.

Nights of Sambria
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sambria_Night_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	245 
Size:	5.26 MB 
ID:	115713

Days of Sambria

Name:	Sambria_Day_ByOmri.jpeg 
Views:	357 
Size:	8.00 MB 
ID:	115714

EDIT: As you would see later in the thread, I updated the maps just a bit. Here is the Night v2:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sambria_Night__v2b_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	4.38 MB 
ID:	123986  
    Last edited by XCali; 07-20-2020 at 08:15 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Great work XCali. There are so many fun elements in these maps. I believed I mentioned this in the WIP but I like how you've done the trees, the time you spent rendering them really paid off, they look very nice. I also like the lighting effects of the night piece, especially those little pixies or fireflies or whatever they are that you've sprinkled here and there.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I really like how you are developing a style that is extremely clearly you - I don't believe I've ever seen a map quite like this before. You know how much I like darker tones, so the night view in particular looks sweet to my eyes. And just the idea of having a separate night and day view is a really cool idea in general.

If I had to nitpick on something, I'd say the scale is maybe placed a tad oddly. Looking at the whole piece, I think it probably is at the exact halfway point of the image, but with the islands so close on one side and further away on the other, it still ends up looking like it's unevenly placed. I'd maybe move it to the bottom, as there is more empty space to the left of the compass.

Like I said, a very unique map and interesting style. Congrats on finishing this, I'd imagine it took quite a while to complete.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Great work XCali. There are so many fun elements in these maps. I believed I mentioned this in the WIP but I like how you've done the trees, the time you spent rendering them really paid off, they look very nice. I also like the lighting effects of the night piece, especially those little pixies or fireflies or whatever they are that you've sprinkled here and there.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you. I had fun going to work on each element of the map. And yeah, I was happy with the trees too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I really like how you are developing a style that is extremely clearly you - I don't believe I've ever seen a map quite like this before. You know how much I like darker tones, so the night view in particular looks sweet to my eyes. And just the idea of having a separate night and day view is a really cool idea in general.

If I had to nitpick on something, I'd say the scale is maybe placed a tad oddly. Looking at the whole piece, I think it probably is at the exact halfway point of the image, but with the islands so close on one side and further away on the other, it still ends up looking like it's unevenly placed. I'd maybe move it to the bottom, as there is more empty space to the left of the compass.

Like I said, a very unique map and interesting style. Congrats on finishing this, I'd imagine it took quite a while to complete.
    Ah, thanks a bunch. I am glad you liked it.

Regarding the scale, I really see what you are getting at. I had a difficult choice to make. I really really wanted the Angler Fish Monster in the Dark sea and because of that I couldn't place my compass there. And because I couldn't place my compass there, I had to find a more symmetrical place to add them both. Thus the whole dead centre of them both.

Still, I feel I can maybe see if it would work at the bottom left. It might really.

Thank you for the feedback, really. (Nitpicking is welcome, because it gets one to consider different things and experiment maybe to see if can work a different way.)

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Hello there everyone!

I hope you all have been having a great day.

I can probably go on and on and add a boatload more stuff to the map, but I decided today that this is the final. Maybe one day I will expand on it. For now, I am happy.

The story behind this map goes back years. I wrote my book Nights of Sambria And the Wish of light, but I always wanted to realise my vision for one of its maps, at the very least. Though, technically, this map is west of where the first book plays off. As, realising that part of the world comes with different challenges, partly because of the twist in the first half of the book. Secondly, after the first one, a lot of story would play out on this side of the world. So, there were reasons. But, that said, I've been dreaming of doing this map justice for quite a time.

Problem was, a big part of played around what happened at night. Another big challenge. Though, I finally got it ticking towards what I wanted for it and also ironed out the style I want to do my Continental maps as a bonus.

Another thing about this map. I am a big fan of RPGs, so I wanted this map to have many mysteries for that kind of thing. I want adventures to happen. I would actually very much want to know if there is anyone who would want to have a run of a campaign on this map?

-----------------------------------------------
    Program used: GIMP (2.10)
    Program used for Labelling: GIMP (2.10)

Once the sun sets, the lands become far more dangerous, the lights beckons for those that wish to say safe. But, beware, there are some things out there that have learned to imitate the safety of the light only to ambush the unwary.

Nights of Sambria

Name:	Sambria_Night_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	245 
Size:	5.26 MB 
ID:	115713

Days of Sambria

Name:	Sambria_Day_ByOmri.jpeg 
Views:	357 
Size:	8.00 MB 
ID:	115714

I’m liking the moonlit look to the black inkyness if the terrain - it adds a tonne of character :/)

Thankyou for the share

Quote Originally Posted by Ratapult View Post
    I’m liking the moonlit look to the black inkyness if the terrain - it adds a tonne of character :/)

Thankyou for the share
    Thank you!
    I'm glad you like it.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Love the colors in the day version!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Love the colors in the day version!!
    Thanks Bogie.

Hey, you're big on the TTRPG stuff, I was wondering what kind of things is helpful on a region or continent map for a campaign? I hoping to create something that enhances that experience.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

That's a map with strong character and the amount of details is pretty impressive ! The night/day touch is a great one. All in all a great and original map

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    That's a map with strong character and the amount of details is pretty impressive ! The night/day touch is a great one. All in all a great and original map
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast