Thread: Docks Floor Plan - Any Comments or Feedback Welcome!

Default Docks Floor Plan - Any Comments or Feedback Welcome!

"Docks" - Brand New Fantasy Floor Plan. The Docks Floor Plan Includes a Number of Wooden Jetty's Branching Out from the Stone Paved Quay. Sea Water Surrounds the Timber Jetty's. On the Quay, Cargo Crates of Various Sizes Await Loading onto the Ships and Boats for Delivery to Their Intended Destinations. The Docks Floor Plan is Designed to Be Fully Furnished By The Games Master (GM) or Dungeon Master, as He or She sees Appropriate.
    #cartography #cartographer #floorplan #floorplans #fantasyfloorplans #fantasyfloorplan #dungeonfloorplan #dungeonfloorplans #gurps #thefantasytrip #dungeonfantasyrpg #dungeonfantasy #quay #docks #jetty #novel #book #dungeonfantasyroleplayinggame #dnd #dnd5e #pathfinder #harp #rolemaster #wfrp #merps #theoneringrpg #adventuresinmiddleearth #fineliner #drawing #handdrawn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

This one is coming together.

Nitpicking goggles on, I would start adding the shadows the Objects cast in the scene. It would add depth to the image.
    Side note: Remember blank space is your friend in certain cases, not every inch has to be inked in.

Can I be frank here for a moment. The way you post miles and miles of images in each their own thread and have each one with something in the TITLE: "Any Comments or Feedback Welcome!" or "Please Critique!" or "Please Comment!" or "Any Suggestions for Future Taverns?" or something of the like; is off putting.
    It is faaaar better to add something like that in your actual post.

I am one that is firm of the view point that I was a few years ago at a place where my cartography had a looooooooong way to go, and so I try to give tips as best I can where I see people can improve their work. It was because other people giving me tips that I have come leaps and bounds since back then.
    And as I learned cartography I tried not to be intrusive in my pursuit to improve my craft.

So, for the kindness others showed me in the years, I wish to relay it to you. I am not attacking you at all, I just feel the way you are going about this feel off somehow.

My suggestions then:
    Number 1: In your next projects, I would suggest not adding the "Any Comments or Feedback Welcome!" or something like it in the TITLE of your threads.

Number 2: I would definitely suggest you give an extra line of spacing before you put your #tags. It is hard to read your text to be honest, everything feels compressed. More spacing would be much appreciated.

Number 3: In the post you can ask questions about what you are struggling with on a specific map. It is always easier to then go think about what kind of answers to give, and that normally leads to other things a person might want to point out about a map.

Edit: Number 4: I would suggest starting 1 or maybe 2 maps, just that, and proceed to chip away at it/them and challenge yourself with techniques until you have ironed out a lot of things about it. I know I personally can push out A LOT of maps every single day if I want, but those would feel uncompleted. My best work are the ones that I take my time with and chip away at it. I would definitely suggest that to you, since I see the Buildings section is filled with one-shot maps from you.

This is optional, but it is something that might also help in your situation. You push out a lot of maps, why not create a Thread called something like, My RPG Maps and then have it as your thread where you throw in all your RPG maps. Then you can always still ask map specific questions alongside each Image in the thread.

Anyway, I posted this to help, so I hope you take it as thus.

Good luck going forward
    Last edited by XCali; 06-20-2019 at 07:38 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Thank you kindly for your extremely useful feedback. I sincerely apologise for my having started numerous threads and for asking for comments and feedback in the way that I have done. I am very new to the Cartographers Guild Forums and you have now explained very clearly how I should have gone about contributing. I am very grateful for your comments. I will certainly bear in mind what you have said and I thank you for your awesome feedback on both recent occasions. Please accept my apologies for overposting and for not focusing on getting each map just right before sharing another drawing. I really appreciate the valuable help and welcome support you have offered to me. I now have a much clearer understanding of how the Forums should be used.

Hey Justin,

My feeling about the map you show here (and that kind of goes with the previous ones, sorry for not having commented then) is that it's, maybe not cluttered, but heavy on the eye.

First, a lighter color could help lighten the mood a bit. Also, you have several options with the color : either color everything (if you color the water, why not the boardwalk, cobblestones and crates ?) or nothing (you have very easy and efficient ways to say "water").

Second, you have very strong textures and I think you could achieve what you want with a little less strokes. Some artists (and I think they're right) say "less is more" and, while I'm not very good at it, I think it's a sound philosophy when it comes to our medium. Hint the stonework on the ground without drawing every stone for instance

Third and last, lose the regularity a bit. Your boardwalk planks could be a bit askew (a few of them) but most of all, those crates are definitely too well arranged for my taste. Some disorder bring life to a map.

These are my two cents and, like XCali, I'd suggest you post a where you explain your intent and ask precise questions, you'll get better feedback that way.

Keep at it, your motivation is showing.

Cheers !

EDIT : Also, I'm not sure having the tags directly in your text works on the forum (it works on Twitter or Instagram but there's a dedicated space for those when you post, below the text box if I remember well)

Thank you so very much for taking the time to give me such high quality feedback on my Floor Plans. I really appreciate the help that you have given me.