Thread: ***June 2019 Challenge: Map an Underwater Kingdom or City***

Default ***June 2019 Challenge: Map an Underwater Kingdom or City***

Poseidon, Merfolk, Kua-Toa, Aboleth, Aquaman, Atlantis, ancient aliens. What do they all have in common? They are all people, places or things that dwell under the depths of the ocean. Your challenge, should you accept it, is to map out their cities or lairs. This is a challenge idea was originally suggested by Tonnichiwa all the way back in 2015. I have no idea whether this has been done yet or not, but it sounds fun enough to try twice!

As per usual:
    • Be sure to title your threads: June 2019 Challenge: [your title]
    • Please do not forget to insert this tag before each work-in-progress picture you post: ### Latest WIP ### There's a button that will do this for you in the middle row of the tool bar.
    • Please make sure to upload them directly to your WIP thread rather than linking to an external site, otherwise the images won't show up in the thumbnail section.
    • This challenge will end Sunday, June 30th.
    Last edited by arsheesh; 06-05-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Ahhh this is gonna be really cool. This was my commission for Immolate on the "Commission a guildmate" challenge a few months ago, though slightly different.

Might have to put my personal project aside for a month and get my hands wet.

oooh, I saw Tonnichiwa's suggestion, and I thought then that if this challenge was ever made I would LOVE to take part in it! I'm in!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Well its certainly interesting. The thing is with structures is that they are built to protect and shelter people from various things, mostly the elements and weather, which can't really be said to have much effect underwater. And building conventional castles and fortresses is no good either because you can always just swim over the walls. Of course if being underwater, or even at a certain depth when considering pressure, is not conducive to that species health, then the purpose would be to protect from that crushing and unfortunately unbreathable water.

I wonder...

It's almost sounds like a job for dwarven ingenuity...

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Well its certainly interesting. The thing is with structures is that they are built to protect and shelter people from various things, mostly the elements and weather, which can't really be said to have much effect underwater. And building conventional castles and fortresses is no good either because you can always just swim over the walls. Of course if being underwater, or even at a certain depth when considering pressure, is not conducive to that species health, then the purpose would be to protect from that crushing and unfortunately unbreathable water.

I wonder...

It's almost sounds like a job for dwarven ingenuity...
    Or you could imagine it as serving a different set of needs. Providing warmth in an otherwise very cold environment; protection from predators; protection from enemies. True, the enemy could swim over a conventional wall, but that's why conventional walls would need to be re-imagined...

It's definitely an interesting challenge. If I get the time, I'd like to give it a shot.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Agh! I have a lot on my plate this month, but this sounds fun.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19