Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argena - a world born in FT3, edited in Wilbur and presented in CC3+

Thank you, Jo!

I'm going to refine it just a bit more, and then I may write a tutorial so others can rough out their new worlds this way if they want.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Those contours look pretty rough. I've not used wilbur and fractal terrains much recently though remember the results being a lot more realistic than those. I take it this more down to you just doing this as a quick test than anything else - if it can be polished off it could look really good.

I agree - which is why I'm trying to work out how to do it better

Do you have any tips for me?

I think its possibly because I could only get a 13000 px long MDR export out of FT3, am a complete novice with Wilbur, and when I got it back to FT3 I exported it to CC3 with contours at 5000 ft intervals at not the highest resolution (I was trying to prevent a crash with too many unnecessary nodes )

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I exported it to CC3 with contours at 5000 ft intervals at not the highest resolution (I was trying to prevent a crash with too many unnecessary nodes )
    Might be that, though I'll be honest - I don;t have much experience with either and haven't used them in years.

I'm working on it

Thanks for taking the time to consider my humble little map. Its not a patch on yours, I know

That turned out really nicely. I'm tending to focus on hand drawn pieces these days but this makes me want to play around with FT (don't know why I've never done so before). Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to consider my humble little map. Its not a patch on yours, I know
    thanks, but i think once you get a better hold of the software and manage to make really good gradients, you'll be able to churn out a lot of really great maps with realistic topography. to be honest if i hadn't done so much work on my world i would have done this myself.

For a map that took just two days to create, I'd say this looks pretty outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    That turned out really nicely. I'm tending to focus on hand drawn pieces these days but this makes me want to play around with FT (don't know why I've never done so before). Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh! I think I will probably need to spend a bit more time fine-tuning this, but I'm very pleased to have provided a bit of inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    thanks, but i think once you get a better hold of the software and manage to make really good gradients, you'll be able to churn out a lot of really great maps with realistic topography. to be honest if i hadn't done so much work on my world i would have done this myself.
    Undoubtedly! I'm only just really getting started on this.

I don't think it will EVER rival Elyden as a technique for worldbuilding. That world is just mindblowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    For a map that took just two days to create, I'd say this looks pretty outstanding!
    Wow! Thank you Charerg. You've just made me feel undeservedly chuffed with myself! LOL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12