Thread: Grombelard - hand drawn fantasy map

Guild Apprentice

Map Grombelard - hand drawn fantasy map

Hello again!

I present you with a map of the Grombelard - a land created by the Polish fantasy writer Feliks W. Kres. (He's one of my favorite fantasy writers. Unfortunately, his books were not translated into English.)

I drew this map as part of my coloring exercises.

Attachment 115834

Drawing it, I based on the original map from the book, which looks not very attractive:

Attachment 115835

About the map:
    Drawing this map I started to mix different techniques - micropen for contours, coloured pencils, soft and dry pastels, a bit of watercolours and promarkers. Paraller pen also. I'm still learning how to use it all correctly and in what order.

As usual, I will be grateful for all your comments and advice, which motivate me to improve my drawing.

Yours sincerely
    Qmoh

I really like this! Your style is getting better with every creation. I love all of the little fields that accommodate each of the hamlets.

The fact that you use so many mediums is really spurring me to do that same. I've just broken in my liner pens a good bit, now I'm mustering up the courage to try watercolors and those pens you mentioned. I like the idea of pastels, which I have a set of, but they are just so messy, maybe that's lack of experience, I dunno.

I'm interested in reading your favorite series, but I'm afraid my only language is English, alas.

Spiffy map man!

Cheers!

IR

I just love everything about your maps: the colors, the mountains, the cities, the labels … And the most impressive thing is that you're able to produce this all non-digitally. I'm simply amazed by your work!
    „The Road goes ever on and on
    Down from the door where it began
    Now far ahead the Road has gone
    And I must follow if I can“

– Bilbo Baggins

I'm definitely in love with this style, but here especially in the smaller details : the suggested bridges, the cute little fields. Maybe I would vary a little more the mountains shape & size to break the uniformity, and I maybe, maybe have a doubt with the mountains, top of Romogo-Koor, looking inclined, but it's just, just because you asked and I desperately looked for something to say ^^
    You know I'm a fan

Guild Apprentice

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    I'm definitely in love with this style [...] You know I'm a fan
    Venant de toi, c'est un grand éloge.

Hey Qmoh
    Very nice map. Definately better than original. Good work.

______

Witam na forum.
    Nie czytałem nic Kresa, dobrze jest znaleść nowy tytuł, tym bardziej, że polski, dzięki
    Pozdrawiam
    Rafał
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I like the way you intersperse your trees throughout the mountain valleys, it's a really nice looking effect.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I like the way you intersperse your trees throughout the mountain valleys, it's a really nice looking effect.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    That and the classical icons mixed with the more fantasy style is a win. You really have something unique going on with your maps.

Wow, I really love this. Especially because what you are doing has a lot in common, in both style and execution/media, with what I have been envisioning and working toward. Anyone so inclined may be able to see what I mean in the only thread I have created on here.

I obviously have a long way to go compared with this rendition of Grombelard, but I really appreciate this as an encouraging source of ideas and inspiration. So thanks! And as arsheesh said, I immediately noticed and liked the nestling of forest in the mountain valleys; it really works well. Great work!